Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Our AS is much the same way, with the exception of the history of prematurity. He has been involved with our EI program since he was about 9mos old, but I think that has helped him minimally. He has severe expressive and receptive language delays, though he does respond to his name and signs "more" in context - that didn't start until around 20 mos, and we haven't been able to get him to learn any more signs since then. He can differentiate between different cues for food/drink, by indicating nonverbally what he wants, but that's about it...
He *was* diagnosed with autism, despite my thoughts that his happy, bubbly, interactive personality didn't qualify. Apparently, part of autism is not being able to use social cues - mimicking, mirroring, copying language, etc - to learn. THat is more of a sign of autism than of straight cognitive delays. FOr example, DS can't watch me do something and then do it himself, like a typically developing child - it *has* to be hand-over-hand. And I definitely can't "talk" him through it. I can't even get him to go "find Daddy" - and he's 2.5.
DS makes eye contact, initiates roughhousing play, cuddles, gives hugs and kisses (though not on cue), babbles, and has what may just be typical toddler quirks in behaviors (no rocking or other stereotypical autism behaviors) - yet, despite all that, autism does seem to be a fitting diagnosis.
THat being said, I think it's high functioning, mainly affecting his communication skills...and am desperately working on getting him the therapy he needs to hopefully someday be close to "normal."
Good luck. The road ot figuring out what is "wrong" can be frustrating :(