Advertisements
Advertisements
We have begun the process now for domestic adoption too, and our homestudy is already finished. It was pretty easy since our old one was recent enough that we just needed to update. We are not using an agency, but luckily our social worker who did our homestudy for Russia is an independent SW and is working as our case worker. So we have both adoptions going at the same time. Like CROI said....we now have hope again. I still pray that Russia will open back up and allow us to get our little one there. We could end up with a bigger family than we ever planned. If not, at least we are not sitting around doing nothing...that is just too depressing.
Advertisements
I am so sorry to all of you who are having to make this decision. We received a referral from Kyrgyzstan in 2008 and have fought for four years to bring our son home. We were one of the very blessed families who brought their child home in 2012.
A few things I can share since we have BTDT.
If you decide to leave your dossier in Russia, and keep your I600 current, you can, at the same time, have an I800 approval for a Hague country, like China. We adopted from China SN while waiting for our son and had approvals from both our I600a and I800a in our file cabinet at the same time.
If you have fingerprints from your I600a that are not expired, you can ask the USCIS to use those fingerprints with your new I800a appication. We did this and it can be done. That will save you some money and time since your new officer will not be waiting for those results to approve your new application.
And to clarify someone's post above: China non special needs does not take five years. It is more like 12+ years for someone who submitted a dossier today. BUT China Special Needs/Waiting Child only takes 12-18 months.
Having been through the process in Kyrgyzstan (former Soviet country) and China SN, we were so impressed with the amount of information we received (medical) about our Chinese son vs. the little (and often contradictory) information we received about our Kyrgyz son.
We had several families who adopted domestically and internationally while waiting for our Kyrgyz children. It can be done.
Karla
DS Kyrgyzstan, home August 2012
DS China, home October 2010