Advertisements
Advertisements
As a single (but maybe not older anymore, seeing all those older than my 43) person, I realize if I don't go foster/adopt it's likely I'd end up adopting an African-American infant, and I'm Caucasian. (Even foster/adopt an African-American would be possible.)
I've got no qualms about my friends - I'm in a diverse church (though good majority white) that loves other people and has a number of adoptive parents that have been in it before moving for work or that are in it now. My main concern is that of helping them understand about their culture and heritage.
I'll admit that I'm very, very knowledgeable about history. So, I'd be able to have frank discussions about what it may have been like for any ethnicity of child. But, is there more to it than just honest discussions about what it may have been like for his or her ancestors? Especially with African-Americans, for whom I would imagine the4 history of slavery is very sensitive and personal. (Our whole family, the guys get teary easily. I can just see myself looking at things online about slvery with a child and getting all blubbery, hugging him/her and saying I'm glad we don't have that anymore, even though it ended 150 years ago. Then again, how sensitive I am may be coloring how I would think a child would feel learning about it.)
It may not end up being a concern, but I thought this would be a good question for others, too.