Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My biggest advice to you (as a single-full-time working foster-parent) is to start small. Start with 1 and see how it goes. Also, ages make a big impact as well to that decision (can you handle baby or teen stuff with your schedule, etc.). Your support network also should affect your decision (what support or lack of do you have to help if you need it). It's a big adjustment and once you settle in, you will know/figure out the right number for what you can handle and enjoy.
For me, I have a good full-time job that also gives me a reasonable amount of flexibility and have had up to 3 placements but that is max for me and prefer to keep it 1-2 (I kind of like 2, especially if they are sibs).
I also have a single-Mom friend who has 9 (technically 5 she has adopted from foster and the rest are placements) but she works (3) 12 hour shifts (in the medical field) and then also has a lot of family support so that works for her but would not for me. Another single-Mom full-time job friend has a sib group of 3 (and 2 BIOs) but also, her BIOs are older and help out a lot.
Anyway, it is good to be thinking about it but I would first focus perhaps on the age range you want first and start small, trust me, you'll likely be glad you did.