Advertisements
Advertisements
I came across this video on Youtube and I'm horrified at the way this CPS worker is acting. I've met some really horrible CPS workers but this lady takes the cake. This dad isn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Maybe some things aren't the wisest but it's nothing that is the business of CPS and no reason to treat this man with such hostility and it's nothing they need to report to the judge.
I hope this kind of attitude and actions are not common. I really hope these two women no longer work with families. Just the comment that 103 pounds on a 7-year old is normal and that there is no reason for caretakers of kids to know that they take medication and what they take. That's as far from common sense you can get.
Here it is: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIsnbUxAPhs]CPS (Child Protective Services) interrogation and inquisition for normal parenting discretions. - YouTube[/url]
Advertisements
Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.
We don't know the whole story. This guy has not only lost joint physical custody but he's also lost LEGAL custody.
They said in the beginning that the father has unresolved mental health problems (which may or may not have played into his losing custody) and the child has medical issues/psychological issues.
Now, in a NORMAL case, no it's not okay for CPS to question things like weighing your child or asking about meds.
But if the child has psychological issues already, with histories of psychosis, WHY would you question that child about the meds and tell them possible side effects? And then, on top of it, you weigh the child every week and tell them to lose weight?
I'm not saying they couldn't have been nicer but this video is VERY one sided and because the entire story hasn't been laid out, and it sounds like he made some VERY poor choices.
Seriously, I hear what you're saying but honestly, if this was the bio of a foster child with serious psychological issues doing this at a visit, a lot of us would be infuriated at having to deal with the side effects of those choices he's making.
Anyone catch the fact that this video has been clipped to death? Every edit happens while HE is talking aka answering questions. They're anywhere from 4 seconds on up to 4 min edits. Watch the timer as you listen.
Advertisements
Did you watch the whole thing...the father is delusional. He weighs his 7 year old daughter and then takes her to McDonalds. He only gets to see her 1 day a week and has restraining orders against him. There has obviously been some issues. I don't see her as being that mean, she is trying to reason with stupid...hard
Kat
The CPS worker is very aggressive in her questioning and quite short with him. That said, I seriously doubt that she knows he's recording her. Of course, he sounds measured and calm and never aggressive. He wants to sound good on the tape. She may be unreasonable but he's also trying to set her up.
On a side note, I was also told at 7 yoa that I was fat and put on my first of many medically supervised diets. It's devastating at that age and can create long-term, food related issues.
I agree with Pink. It sounds like the guy has no understanding of basic appropriate behavior around a child with ANY type of mental illness/disorder.
He gives her soda at 9 in the morning, put her on a scale and tells her she needs to lose weight and then takes her to McDonalds to eat. I agree with the bi+ch in the purple shirt on this one. What kind of message is he sending to his daughter?
Now, do I think there was a lot or professionalism missing from the SWs behavior? Yes!
For some reason, a judge gave the mom full custody and another judge signed a restraining order to keep this guy away from mom. That tells me this guy is no angle.
mckat37
Did you watch the whole thing...the father is delusional. He weighs his 7 year old daughter and then takes her to McDonalds. He only gets to see her 1 day a week and has restraining orders against him. There has obviously been some issues. I don't see her as being that mean, she is trying to reason with stupid...hard
Kat
Seriously? I can't believe anyone thinks this womans' behavior is remotely appropriate. She's coming in with an attitude complete with finger snappings and chicken necking, or whatever you call it. It's beyond unprofessional. Some of his actions may not have been the smartest but they are not something that is CPS business. They are business between the parents. There is no abuse or neglect here.
I'm sure there is a lot to the story. It sounds like the parents are going at it and accusing each other of stuff which is not uncommon between divorced parents. My dad also had a restraining order and lost custody for stalking my mother and threatening all of us with an axe, which he was arrested for. None of it ever happened. So a report from the mother, in this case, that the father has mental problems, which he in turn says the mother has, is not something that should be taken as fact.
Even if this guy has done some stupid things in regards to his daughter there is no excuse for a social worker to act so extremely unprofessional and rude. She seems hell bent on finding faults with him, complaining that he's giving the kid soda, saying that it's none of a daycare's business if a kid is taking heavy duty antipsychotics (a drug that can cause tardive dyskinesia), and that 103 pounds on a 7-year old is normal and this guy is out of line to think it's not. I'd be worried too if any 7-year old gained 23 pounds in a matter of months which is most likely caused by the antipsychotic, not occasional visits to McDonald's, which is not CPS business either. I personally don't think it's out of line or delusional to be worried about a child's weight and take the child to McDonald's occasionally. Occasional visits to McDonald's doesn't cause obesity and doesn't mean that one can't teach healthy habits as well. We had the same problem with my stepdaughter who was mildly obese when she was younger. Not as much as this kid but still way overweight. She ate very healthy for the most part but once in a while, usually after a softball game, we'd get a hamburger. I don't think that made me and my husband delusional and she did lose weight even with trips to McDonald's.
This sounds like a pretty classic case of divorced parents not getting along and making accusations back and forth (dad has mental problems according to mom and mom has Munchausen by Proxy according to dad) and this SW has chosen to pick one side and is furthering that agenda with a hell of an attitude. It's not their place to tell a parent when he can give his kid soda and if he can weigh her. I find it frightening that anyone would think this woman's behavior is appropriate, especially someone who works with CPS. I hope nobody here would talk like that to a parent even if you thought he was stupid. If someone does that person shouldn't be in this business.
And yes, I noticed the editing but the parts cut out as so short that I don't think it would make that much of a difference. The CPS worker's, who clearly doesn't have the best eating habits herself, attitude is inexcusable regardless of what was said during the time that was cut out.
Advertisements
I had to turn it off at 3:57. Delusional father or not, the woman in the purple was on a power trip. Her entire demeanor was offensive. I suspect that the back story set her demeanor, but it is still unprofessional.
All that said, no way is this the norm. In fact, I'd argue if more CPS workers were like this with the bios the system would be better. They should be treated as offenders. Instead, they are treated as "clients." By the time a case gets to the point where they are questioning a father like this, there is already an extensive amount of information there to point to the parental abuses.
In the past, the investigators acted like police, people got offended and filed suit because there were cases when their power trip wrongly removed children. So, as an answer to that, the pendulum swung the entire other direction and the bio parents are now "clients." They are talked to with kid gloves and babied. It is ridiculous the pandering to these bio parents I see.
So, as much as I dont like the demeanor of that CPS worker in purple, on a personal note, I think she could tone the interrogator motion a bit, I do think it is great that she IS calling him out on his actions. If that happened more in my county, far fewer children would RU and far fewer children would be repeatedly abused/killed after RU.
TemporaryMom
I had to turn it off at 3:57. Delusional father or not, the woman in the purple was on a power trip. Her entire demeanor was offensive. I suspect that the back story set her demeanor, but it is still unprofessional.
All that said, no way is this the norm. In fact, I'd argue if more CPS workers were like this with the bios the system would be better. They should be treated as offenders. Instead, they are treated as "clients." By the time a case gets to the point where they are questioning a father like this, there is already an extensive amount of information there to point to the parental abuses.
In the past, the investigators acted like police, people got offended and filed suit because there were cases when their power trip wrongly removed children. So, as an answer to that, the pendulum swung the entire other direction and the bio parents are now "clients." They are talked to with kid gloves and babied. It is ridiculous the pandering to these bio parents I see.
So, as much as I dont like the demeanor of that CPS worker in purple, on a personal note, I think she could tone the interrogator motion a bit, I do think it is great that she IS calling him out on his actions. If that happened more in my county, far fewer children would RU and far fewer children would be repeatedly abused/killed after RU.
I agree with you!
Does the video start with this statement? "This is my supervisor, Amy XXXXXX"? Is this a CPS Supervisor talking, on the left?
A girl, 4 1/2 feet tall, and 7 yrs. old, 103lb. would be in the obese category.
It is the woman on the left's verbal tone and body language. REGARDLESS of Dad's less than perfect behaviors, I repeatedly felt her body language and tone to be so offensive, that I turned off the video, 10 minutes in.
I no longer feel that FPs who record visits secretly with their cell phones are nutzoid anymore.
I'm highly suspicious of the person that knows they are being recorded while the other party doesn't. And the video is edited like crazy.
While I agree her posture and tone were in interrogation mode, essentially she was interrogating...
Did you hear that he doesn't know where the child lives? Obviously that is a red flag to me about his stability and possibly his stability.
We don't know the background. He kept arguing ridiculous points of zero calorie drinks, coffee, etc. Maybe that's his MO when they try to talk to him in the past and so they approached him in an aggressive manner that didn't match his "recorded tone, responses"... Maybe they brought that aggression from past interactions...
He seems like an extremist to me.
Not saying they are right in how they spoke to him and some statements they made are so, so wrong but it's easy to come off looking like the good guy when you know you are recording AND you have the edit button...
Advertisements
TemporaryMom
Wow! Bios should be treated like offenders so that less kids are reunited with their parents?
Keelah
Wow! Bios should be treated like offenders so that less kids are reunited with their parents?
Well, bios are offenders. These kids didn't neglect, abuse, and traumatize themselves.
It doesn't mean that they can't get help and get it together but they ARE offenders.