Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a 28-year old single woman who is thinking about fostering a female unaccompanied refugee youth. I work at a language school where we teach English to international adults, and I have built relationships with students from all over the world. Lately, I've been praying about how God would have me use my house and extra bedroom to His glory, and the thought has popped into my mind of fostering a refugee youth. The thought both excites me and terrifies me at the same time. I would love to help guide and support a young teen girl in learning English, adapting to the culture, preserving her own culture, creating and achieving goals, and growing in self esteem.
I am concerned that maybe I'm too young and don't have the necessary experience, but then I wonder if anyone ever has "enough" experience. I worry that maybe a married couple would be able to provide a better support system for a refugee youth, but I also realize there is a great need for foster families, whether singles or couples.
Has anyone had similar experiences of hosting a refugee youth with being close to my age and being single? I'd love to hear your stories and advice!
Advertisements
I don't have a similar story for you, but I can tell you that if people waited until they thought they were prepared to do things, nothing would ever get done. Also, I had children when I was 26 and 33. I have often thought it would have been better to have them in my early 20's because I would have had more energy. So there's that to think about too.