Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think that it depends largely on the state that you live in and their laws around stipends and permanency. Here in Washington state, they want a child to have permanency and will often push for adoption vs. guardianship (which is what I think you mean by permanent custody). At 13, though, they wouldn't push as hard.
Again, within the laws of my state, if you have guardianship, you can get a stipend (not very much, but something) for the child's care. You can also get a medical coupon to cover medical/dental/mental health care. Children adopted from the foster care system also receive benefits, and occasionally (depending on the documented behaviors) receive an adoption stipend, but that must be re-evaluated (and the amount may change) every 6-12 months, I believe.
At 13, I would wait and see how things are going. Talk to the child, see what she thinks. At 13, she may have some very definite ideas about what being adopted means. To many older children, this implies that they are choosing you OVER their parents. Family counseling to help you with this transition is a VERY good idea, especially since you haven't met this young lady before - a neutral family counselor will help you to establish good communication and try to work through what will surely be some big changes for her and for you.
Best of luck and kudos to you for being willing to take this young lady into your home and your heart!