Advertisements
Advertisements
Welcome to the Search and Reunion Message Board:
NOTE:
The State of Washington has a “Confidential Intermediary” search program that will locate and contact birth relatives. Contact the adoption agency that facilitated the adoption or the office below:
Washington Department of Social and Health Services
Children's Administration
PO Box 45713
Olympia, WA 98504
(360) 902-7959 or (360) 902-7968
Fax: (360) 902-7903
Using a Confidential Intermediary: The following persons may use the confidential intermediary service: adopted adults age 21 or older, or adoptees under age 21 with permission of adoptive parents, birth parents, birth siblings, and birth grandparents. The person “found” may decline contact and if so, you will not be given information to contact them yourself.
Obtaining Non-Identifying Information: Adoptive parents, adopted adults, and birth parents may obtain non-identifying information. Contact the adoption agency that facilitated the adoption for this information.
Obtaining Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through a confidential intermediary system. Adopted adults also can file a form for disclosure or nondisclosure with the Department of Health.
Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adopted adult age 18 or older can receive the birth certificate if the adoption was finalized after October 1, 1993, and each birth parent has not filed an affidavit of non-disclosure.
Other great websites to check out:
[url=http://www.adoptionchat.com]Adoption.com Forums[/url]
[url=http://www.adoptionlists.com]Adoption Lists - Photolistings, Support Groups, Mailing Lists - Agency, Exchange, Failed, Feel, Find[/url]
[url=http://www.adoption.com]Adoption.com - Information on International, Domestic, Child & Agency Adoptions, Stories, Laws -[/url]
[url=http://www.adopting.org]Adopting - Adopt a Baby, Child, Infants, Kids, Older, Services, International, Information China -[/url]
[url=http://registry.adoption.com/]Adoption Registry - Records, Reunion Registries, Adoptees, Search Reunite[/url]
My husband was adopted and can't type so I've been designated typist for this project.
We are trying to fill out paperwork for WARM and other registries but about all we know of his adoption is on his official birth certificate. It's the strangest looking birth certificate I've ever seen:
~There is no hospital name or street address for place of birth.
~His adoptive parents complete with ages are listed as birth
parents.
~The doctor signed his name but it's illegible. There is no typed
space with the doctor's name.
Our question is how much can we believe from this document? Is his birthdate apt to be correct? How about city of birth? The only hospital in that city today is a Navy hospital.
Thanks for any help.
Janice
Advertisements
Janice,
Thats actually a pretty typical adoptee's birth certificate. Mine doesnt have the hospital or the Dr. name...just city, state, county, date of birth and parents (adoptive) names.
Of course, I was adopted in Texas....so it may be different. But judging by what you have posted, I'd guess its pretty reliable.
As far as birthdate...I dont think I have ever heard of WA State changing DOB's...but some states have in the past.
Have you asked the agency for non-ID?
Thanks for your quick response. It's good to know that it is most likely reliable, sparse as it may be.
We tried asking the state for non-id info but they couldn't find his records. So we tried one of the possible counties where they might be and were told that all adoption information is unobtainable without a court order. We know that's not true so we're going to try again after we get him registered with WARM and the big one (ISSR?) in Denver.
This sounds like a long process but what I'm seeing is that just looking is good for him and for me. Just thinking about the possibilities rather than believeing the lies society and his aparents told him is a good thing. ("We chose you." "You should be grateful." etc.) I'm glad and proud to be a part of it.
Thanks again for your reply. I'm glad there are people like you we can turn to.
Janice
Hi, my name is Angie and I am searching for my brother who was adopted in Washington state. Here is the story that I know of him.
David is the youngest of five, born in Spokane, Washington in 1972. Mother put him in foster home when he was still very young, but he did come home from time to time. Mother finally put David up for adoption in early 1976. I have an idea that he may have been raised in the Seattle area due to an inheirtance he should have recieved at the age of eighteen.
David was born, David Allan Ferrell, in Sacred Heart Medical Center. He weighed 9lbs, 2oz and was born at 8:19p.m.
Does any of this fit your husband?
Thank You
:( Angie,
This is a long hard process for most people but responsiveness and team work can help.
My husband was born in Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island) in 1957. I've printed out your reply and will post it with some others near my computer. If I see anything that's familiar I'll let you know. Now I'm going to ask that you do the same for me.
It's hard being forced away from people you are related to even if there was a good reason for it. My father left our family when I was three and I never saw him again. My mother remarried when I was five and my father died when I was eleven. My stepfather was like an adoptive father for me so I can kind of understand the feelings I read about on these forums.
Thanks for the response and let's just keep looking!
Janice
Advertisements
I'm looking for my brother.
He was born in Seattle, Wa. April 18,1955
mothers: Helen Bruce but signed Bryce
father: Ted Dills
She was 16 he was 22
My mother longs to see her son again!!!!!
I've have just started the search!
God Bless
I would like to thank the Search Garu and D.Louis for answering
my prior posts. Paying to search is not an option for me. So this
prevents me from using a C.I., Warm or the agency that charges
and still has not gotten back with anything. Ok enough of my growl, is there any help any where finding my two children.
Both are basicly from Tacoma, Washington. Taken at the age of 7,
Heather DOB:Seot.22,1979/Jason,May25,1982.
Please help!!!!!!!!!
jomar4
I too was born in Oak Harbor on Feb. 15, 1971 and I am searching for my birth momma. I'm using C.I. and am on pins and needles waiting for any news. Oh well. Best to all you Oak Harborians,
scott
I was born and adopted in Washington and just looked and mine looks very similar. My original does have a hospital listed, but a newer version I orderd when my original was MIA does not have the hospital.
Advertisements
Some time ago, Washington started issuing birth certificates that were computer-generated and had only basic information. The birth certificates I got when my children were born had a lot of info, but recent copies of the birth certificates lack a lot of info that was originally available. I wondered about that, but didn't ask how to obtain the original info. I wonder if they still have it...?
Peace,
Susan
(bmom in reunion)
:hippie:
My husband called the DSHS office today and got nowhere. He is looking for his full sibling who was adopted a year before he was born. The man he spoke with told him that siblings aren't eligible to be told any information except for which county the person was born in and we already know that. The non-identifying information he was trying to get was the gender of his sibling since there is debate amongst his relatives if it was a boy or a girl who left the delivery room. I feel bad because he is disappointed but I am sure there will be a few more roadblocks before we find his brother or sister.
Danierob
My husband called the DSHS office today and got nowhere. He is looking for his full sibling who was adopted a year before he was born. The man he spoke with told him that siblings aren't eligible to be told any information except for which county the person was born in and we already know that. The non-identifying information he was trying to get was the gender of his sibling since there is debate amongst his relatives if it was a boy or a girl who left the delivery room. I feel bad because he is disappointed but I am sure there will be a few more roadblocks before we find his brother or sister.
I would call them again- and quote this law~
Are your in-laws willing to go forward with the process of searching?
RCW 26.33.340
Department, agency, and court files confidential Limited disclosure of information.
Department, agency, and court files regarding an adoption shall be confidential except that reasonably available nonidentifying information may be disclosed upon the written request for the information from the adoptive parent, the adoptee, or the birth parent. If the adoption facilitator refuses to disclose nonidentifying information, the individual may petition the superior court. Identifying information may also be disclosed through the procedure described in RCW 26.33.343.
RCW 26.33.343
Search for birth parent or adopted child ח Confidential intermediary.
(1) An adopted person over the age of twenty-one years, or under twenty-one with the permission of the adoptive parent, or a birth parent or member of the birth parent's family after the adoptee has reached the age of twenty-one may petition the court to appoint a confidential intermediary
You can find a partial listing of CI's here- in Curry Wolfes ғBlue Book
[url]http://home.comcast.net/~paadoptionreunionregistry/BluePage.htm#_WASHINGTON[/url]
Hi! I'm looking for a half-sister, from a previous marriage of my mother's. From what we were told, Mom had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized, and her husband was an alcoholic, so since she did not want him to raise their daughter, she allowed the friends who were caring for her to adopt her. Mom would have loved to find her, and always so missed her child, but there were not too many options open at that point and we had no money to pay someone to search for her. Mom died several years ago, but my sister and I would still really like to find her if we can. I will be registering with WARM, and ISSR, but would like any further ideas. Our sister was born in Oregon, but adopted in Washington. Would that change anything?
Thank you so much for any help you can offer! It has been amazing to read the stories and posts of so many searching for loved ones, or finding them. So many problems, too. We just want her to know how much we love her, and how much her mother loved her and missed her.
Advertisements
Since she was adopted in WA you may be able to get a confidential intermediary to open the file and find the adoptee. We used this route to find my husband's bmom and it worked like a charm.
Go to the state of WA website and search on confidential intermediaries and there is a list on the site somewhere. The one we used had a long last name and her first name was Carol. She didn't charge as much as WARM does.
I was born in California, placed with my adoptive family in California, but we moved to Washington before the mandatory social worker visits were complete. The visits were continued/completed in Washington and then the adoption was finalized... does this mean it was finalized in WA? Would an intermediary in WA be able to help me?
thanks for any info,
kate
b. 12/26/1967 Hayward, CA
:arrow: