Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone here succesfully accessed their birth records from a hospital? Me being a private adoption in '65, my chart would be listed under my aparents name but it almost seems too easy that the hospital would copy off my chart (with by bmom's name) and send it to me. Any advise on which way to go on this would be greatly appreciated!
Chris
1 Liked
 likes this.
HI ALL.... THE HOSPITOL THAT I WAS BORN IN IS A VERY LARGE HOSPITOL AND I SPOKE TO A SOCIAL WORKER IN THAT DEPT. AND HE WAS ALSO ADOPTED. HE SAID BUTTERWORTH HAS ALL THE RECORDS...NONE WERE DESTROYED. HE SAID THEIR RECORD KEEPING WAS EXCELLENT AFTER WW2. A LOT OF THEM ARE ON MICRO FILM. AND YES THAT IS TIME CONSUMING TO LOOK FOR THEM. THE GIRL WE HAD LOOKING WAS VERY PERSISTANT. SHE LOOKED FOR OVER A YEAR FOR ME. SHE FOUND MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS BIRTH RECORDS....BUT NOT MINE. SO IT PROBABLY JUST DEPENDS ON THE HOSPITOL IF THEY KEEP THE RECORDS OR NOT? JANET
Advertisements
My hospital got back to me yesterday and they were "unable to locate my records." I dont know if that means they are destroyed or lost or what, but that was not a helpful route for me. I have made an appointment with the lawyer instead, and I hope that will get me more answers.
I figured I would share how I got my bmom's last name...I was born in Little Falls, NY and today I decided to call the town hall where they kept all there records. I gave her my birth date and 1st name which is on my original birth certificate...she told me I needed to call the state department..after much pleading and talking she finally gave me the last name....I was just lucky. If you were born in a small town and can call their city clerks office..in town hall...maybe you can get as lucky as I was. Now that I have the last name I don't know what to do..any suggestions??
HI ALL..... I THOUGHT ID SHARE THIS.....SELDOM DOES A HOSPITOL ACTUALLY DESTROY ITS RECORDS. IF THE MEDICAL RECORDS HAVE BEEN DESTROYED, THERE WILL STILL BE A ADMITTANCE RECORD. THE ADMITTANCE SHOULD SHOW THE NAME OF THE BIRTH PARENTS,,,ADRESS....AGE AND DATE OF ADM -ITTANCE AND THE FINANCIAL ARRAGEMENTS. ALSO MANY HOSPITOLS ALSO ISSUE A ADMITTANCE RECORD ON THE INFANT SHORTLY AFTER BIRTH. SO.... ALL OF US THINK..HOW COULD WE GET AHOLD OF THESE....IF WE DONT HAVE A NAME????? JANET
Congrats! What you can try now with the last name is: Classmates.com for H.S. records. Figure back to her school years and what school and email classmates to see if they know of her
or how to contact her. You can check your City/County building for marriage and divorce records. Use the statement: GENEOLOGY!!!!! They usually throw info at you. If you know this is a maiden name, check internet white pages for possible brothers/sisters/relatives. I knew my B.Mother had siblings and checked the white pages for that last name and found it! Some sisters never marry or she may have a brother. Keep in touch and if I think of anything else, I'll email here. Good luck!
Advertisements
Well today during my lunch break I went by the hospital's medical records office in person and filled out the paperwork......... they were VERY helpful but we'll see what becomes of it (and NO, I didn't mention the "A" word).
Chris
DOB 6-5-65
Hi... this is my very first post. My adoption was also private. My a parents picked me up from the hospital when I was 2 days old. I do have copies of the original hospital bills. They must have had my b-mom's name on it because the name areas have been blacked out. I have tried everything to see through it, even tried to erase it, but it is impossible. But on the bills, it has all dates of when she was in there, even the room number she stayed in. Does anyone know how I might be able to make this info work for me? I did contact the lawyer that handled the adoption, right after I turned 18 and he told me that he would no longer have those records. He has now passed away and his son has supposedly taken over his practice. Does anyone think that I should try to contact his son and see if he might have any info that his father was just not willing to disclose? Sorry to ramble, just unsure of how to proceed. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!:confused:
That sounds alot like my story. I have never known of a lawyer to destroy records. He was most likely keeping info from you. You might try his son, hopefully he would have "matured" on the subject. If no luck, try your local CI program - at your own risk. I did it and it took years, but I was able to get enough info that I took it from there and found my Birth Mother. You also might try your local library and search back thru newspapers for birth anouncements. Also look a few days before, and see if it tells when she was admitted. If you find some names to start with, it could help. It's a long shot, but maybe worth it. You could petiton the courts, but from what I've seen, it does no good. I went as far as to contact some of the women that delivered on my birthday to see if they might remember her. They used to pre-deliver in the same room years ago. There is a guy on the net, I'll have to find his number, but he found a woman and all he had to go by was that she was one of eight children. If your interested, email back here and I'll try to get the info.
Hi Chris, Yes I did. I don't know where you live but, I sent away for my complete file and got it all for $50.00 Can. I got enough info that I now know my birth fathers name . The only thing I don;t have is his date of birth or her s. I hope this helps you in some way. Write back if you'd like more.
Advertisements
GOOD JOB SHARON!! YOU HAD TO PAY 50.00? I PAID BOOTH 50.00 TO LOOK FOR ME IN THEIR BIRTH RECORDS...BUT...NO ME. THE HOSPITOL WHERE I SENT FOR MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS BIRTH RECORDS WERE FREE. WHAT NAME DID YOU GO UNDER? OR DID YOU DO IT BY DATE? DID YOU KNOW YOUR BIRTHNAME? ANY INFO APPRECIATED! JANET
Hi
I used my name I always use and yes I knew my birth last name It was on my adoption papers. You could call your government office and ask them where you'd send away for your birth records or your background papers which would include all your birth info. I live in vancouver b.c. so I sent away to Victoria b.c. I hope this has helped you in some way. I think alot of people are of the understanding that birth records are seperate from your background papers, they are not. You should be able to get everything you want by sending for them. I was surprised to see how big mine were,it was at least 50 pages. Lots of stuff. I found out my dads name all my moms sisters names, where they lived , their jobs and so forth. So Good Luck:)
Sharon Anne;)
Forgive me if I repeat something but I didnt read the whole thread.. just the topic. I went to my birth hospital to obtain records and all I got was a letter telling me they were unable to find anything. I never told them I was adopted etc, but apparently they no longer had a record of my birth. I do have a birth certificate, but it has my parents as the birth parents and not my birth mom.
Well after almost 2 years, I finally got my birth records from the hospital, which was a total of two sheets that were saved on microfische down in the basement no doubt: a summary report and a nursery log with interesting tid bits of information. While I had already found my birth mother last Oct. I'm thrilled to have these, as the most basic details of my birth and first two days in the hospital have been cloaked from me for almost 40 years.
I almost want to frame them and hang them on my wall!
Chris
Advertisements
you need to know your birth mother's maiden name
or father.
I gave no name to my son at birth, so he was just
Boy_Waldroff as far as I know.
I wish that I had named him, but at the time I just wanted him to have one name. Not thinking ahead.
How do you ask for your original birth records if you don't know what your birthparents name was? !1963 Adoptee, Michigan.