Advertisements
Advertisements
I am trying to get my adoption records in Georiga. I was told about my adoption on my 12th birthday and i have been trying to find my birth parents every since. After all the lies that my adpoted parents have told me i have no clue what county to start in. Now that i work in Public Safety and married to a police officer i have learned that we can petition the state to get a copy. not having them is hendering me in getting a job as a police officer in a large county in Gerogia, as well as doctors finding cervical cancer last month. not only needing them for a job, i nee them for medical reasons for me and my daughter. if anyone has any idea where i can find a sample copy i would be greatful.
Advertisements
Ivie, I'm unsure what the system is for getting adoption non-id in Georgia. Every state is different. Some states use the intermediary system and it is left to that agency to supply the info.
In cases where the state doesn't use the intermediary system it may be possible to go directly to the state to get the info you need. In which case information is taken directly from the court records.
I was not born in Ga so I am unsure as to their procedure. Im only guessing that the adoption records where the adoption was finalized will also be held by the state in that location. You can call the Ga adoption group and get info from them. They will know what the procedures are in Ga.
If you know where your adoption was finalized, the court records will probably be in the Orphans Court in that county.
It might be helpful if your husband knows any attorneys to get them to share with you how the Ga system works. You don't need an attorney to get non-id info.
I wish you the best.
Attempts to gain adoption information have to be what the court determines as valid.
The state legislature determines the sealing of records, the judge only upholds the law, altho, in most cases the judge has some discretionary powers.
Having said that, for those interested in unsealing adoption records it is not easy.
Many courts do not recognize terminal disease as grounds to unseal records.
Additionally, the request to unseal records requires a responsibility to present to the court evidence as to why the records should be unsealed.
A desire to know who your b-parents are, their religion, or occupation, or other personal information, is not considered "good cause" for unsealing the records.
"Good Cause" in law, is the presentation to the court that the petitioners evidence is more compelling than the reasons for which the records were sealed.
If the judge finds that the evidence presented meets the "good cause" criteria, he will so note in the records that "good Cause" was shown. And he may make available the information you are seeking.
I wish you the best.
bre36
I'm a aunt looking for my nephew, and on one of the replys it said that when the adoptee goes to get their files opened there will be something in there stating that their family is looking for them and therefore it will be ok to open the sealed document. My question is how do I go about letting the courts know that we are looking for John and to put that in my nephews file? Thank you all for your time, bre36
Were you able to get the information that you were looking for about letting the court know that it was OK to try to the find the birth family?
Sorry this is so long after you wrote your message - hope your journey has been successful