Advertisements
Advertisements
I have the day off today and was watching the view and their interview with Angelina Jolie. They were discussing how great it was that she was an ambassador to the UN and Joy and Merideth kept commenting on what a great thing it was to donate to UNICEF. I was so angry as Angelina kept saying how she wants to adopt from several countries. Do you think she knows she represensts someone who is trying to keep children from being adopted? I e-mailed Joy at .theview.com and think that we should all give our input.
Thanks for letting me vent!
Jolene
Originally posted by KMSM1
Hi Jo,
If you'd like to get an idea of UNICEF's real stance on IA, please go to [url]www.guatadopt.com[/url] and read the letter being sent out to corporate sponsors that can be downloaded from there. This letter addresses point by point their stance and the group Focus On Adoption's responses. Or just do a search on UNCEF + International Adoption. Their real beliefs about international adoption will utterly shock you!
I searched, just as you said, and the only thing I found was they believe that IA should be a last resort...I cant say that I disagree with them.
Am I missing something?
Advertisements
Hello, I didn't see the interview with Angelina...but there was a big write up in LI Newsday here in NY today about the illegal doings of some unscrupulous attorney's...and some hospital workers actually stealing babies out of the hospitals and bringing them to the orphanages for money....it was a very disturbing article...these poor mother's and they're heart wrenching stories!!!! If you can..log onto Long Island Newsday.com and go to the Oct 26th edition...it will break your heart...I think basically what UNICEF is trying to do is to ban illegal adoptions...Hugs, Brenda
Try doing a search on the following...
Bruce Harris
Casa Alianza
Bruce Harris is an employee of UNICEF and director of Casa Alianza (which is also UNICEF). He has done and continues to do everything in his power to stop adoptions in Guatemala.
They work under the 'guise' of caring about children...but they would rather see a child left to die on the streets than to be adopted internationally. They do not seem to care that there are no social support structures in place in these countries and many of these children who are not adopted internationally will become street children and will die horrible deaths.
When asked to comment on 'what' should happen to the children who are not adopted...the response is 'that's not really our problem...we are only concerned that illegal adoptions are not permitted, and that babies are not 'sold'."
It's really sad that an organization that does so much good in the field of vaccinations, etc....can have such a hard-line and uncaring view of international adoption.
One of the bigger issues is that Unicef pushes countries to impliment new IA adoption laws and proceedures that severely limit the number of children that are adopted internationally BUT they provide no support or infrastructure for those countries to then deal with the now hundreds more impoverished and or abandoned children.
Guatemala is an excellent example. They have no infrastructure and probably no funds to set up or develop an infrastructure to manage, care for and raise, support or even begin to help the children. Yet, Unicef is pushing for new legislation that would essentially close down internation adoptions.
What would happen to all those children? The result would be hundreds, probably thousands more abandoned and starving children.
Thanks to Becky, et. al..
You guys explained it much better than I could have.
Karen in GA
Advertisements
Here's my understanding of Unicef's role in international adoptions (IA)...
I think they're trying to do MUCH more than ban illegal adoptions. I think their entire philosophy re IA is that they are wrong. Period. Children should be raised in the culture/country to which they were born. Unicef puts its significant financial weight behind supporting legislation in various countries that allow IA with the explicit purpose of 'suspending' IA. They have been successful in various countries -- Honduras is one.
If there were alternative methods in place for caring for children, then the suspension of IA wouldn't create too much havoc (except for the potential adoptive parents.) However, many of these countries do not HAVE any means, financial or otherwise, of caring for the children who would otherwise be adopted out.
As one who feels strongly about the importance of DNA testing and rigorous procedures to assure the legality and ethical nature of adoptions, I still disagree strongly with Unicef's methods. It seems to me that their money would be much better spent on direct care (including food, shelter, education, social institutions) for children and families. Unfortunately, direct care is NOT their focus. Informed by their philosophical agendas, Unicef works to ban International Adoptions.
p.s. sorry if this is repetitive -- I didn't realize I was posting simultaneously with becky et al. above!
I went to the web site you suggected and could not find the letter you are refering to. I also went to the other web site UNICEF International adoption. I didn't find anything there either.
I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place?
I do know that I think people who can't have children or just want to adopt should be able to if they are good people and I know unfortunatly that there are alot of unwanted children out there. I know if I couldn't find what your talking about maybe neither did Angelina Jolie. From reading what I read about UNICEF they do care what happens to children. I can't believe someone associated with UNICEF said they weren't concerned about what happened to these children. It doesn't make any sense???
Jo,
The corporate sponsor letter I referred to can be found on the main page of [url]www.guatadopt.com.[/url] Scroll down to the date October 13, 2003 and the heading is "Letter for UNICEF Sponsors". It might clear up some of the confusion. Hope this helps.
Karen in GA
Here's another helpful link which explains the situation in Guatemala (by Hannah Wallace).
[url]http://www.rainbowkids.com/1003guat.htm[/url]
Advertisements
This letter wasn't written by UNICEF. It does say what they believe UNICEF stands for regarding adoption. I was saying that at the web site for UNICEF they do not say that they are against adoption. I think they should notify the birth mothers family. I really think that the birth families should be notified and if at all possible the child should say with his/her family. They sould also notify the birth father and his family. If that isn't possible then I think they should allow someone to adopt the child. If there are so many unwanted children...why would anyone want to make it harder for people to adopt.
I think they are trying to prevent people from illeagly stealing children. But, then in the process unwanted children have to suffer because of these types of people. I heard of a man whose children were stolen from him and adopted then it took him two years to get them back.
I wish women in general would realize when they can't take care of a child they shouldn't have one, and take birth control. I think at a certain age women should have an IUD put in so there wouldn't be so many unwanted pregnancys. Then when they are ready to have children and can support that child they have the IUD taken out. There are too many unwanted children in this world...too many children on the streets begging for food. Some being sold and made to have sex. When we can educate girls that having sex equates to making a baby.
(Sorry...I just had to vent a little.)
I may not be accurate but I do not believe that Ms Jolie is American. I believe she keeps her reisdence in England. That and the fact thay she does have a house in Cambodia and has joined up with other organizations to clear out the mines might be a reason her adoption was expedited.
This is actually written about UNICEF from parents I believe.
Here is the direct link to the letter but I don't understand what is going on because the information or post speaking about this letter on the UNICEF site are gone now. It's been too long.
[URL=http://www.guatadopt.com/archives/000130.html]letter to UNICEF[/URL]
I do believe there is a huge problem in Guatemala. UNICEF is not the answer but the country needs an organized approach to international adoptions. Some of these children are living in horrific conditions and these "foster mothers" that the attorneys are hiring to care for the children, Who is monitoring them? what are the guidelines for the FM's? I personally am not very happy with the way my child was cared for.....and I know for a fact another child was placed in her care????? I do believe UNICEF has had an unreasonable solution for Guatemala. Banning International adoptions is wrong............but controlling the foster care system is an issue and it needs to be addressed. Perhaps UNICEF should begin to focus on the slums in which these children are being fostered.
Advertisements
Of course UNICEF doesn't say on their website that they are against international adoption. However, if you do some investigation about the policies they push and support you will find a definite anti-international adoption push.
If you would like to read more about the UNICEF issues, I can send you a pm with a link to the Families Without Borders website which gives a very good (albeit long) description of many of the issues.
I was always a supporter of UNICEF until I began doing some research. I do believe that in it's history UNICEF has accomplished some positive things and helped many children in the world. However, over the last several years their focus has changed. I believe that most people believe that the majority of the money that is donated to UNICEF goes to humanitarian relief for children and families. While this was most likely true at one point, it is no longer true now.
It's a big and complex issue and one you can't learn about by reading a sentence or two. I think that's why most people aren't aware of UNICEF's true stance.
Patty
Families Without Borders is an excellent web-site to obtain information on UNICEF and International Adoption. They have a 63 page report written by UNICEF stating their position. And yes....an UNICEF representative did actually say "what happens to the children is not a concern of ours, only that appropriate laws and made and upheld..." The more street children there are, the more "humanitarian aid" UNICEF can "support".
I have a beautiful daughter adopted from Guatemala that has been home with us for 11 months now. We accepted our referral when she was 2 weeks old and she finally came home after her 1st birthday. The reason my adoption (and hundreds of others at this time) took so long is partly because of UNICEF and their success at temporarily suspending adoptions and trying to push the Hague Treaty. It was an absolute mess for many of us. Luckily and hopefully, none of you will have to endure this kind of agony in waiting and wondering if your child will even be allowed to come home.
The true information is out there....please read it before making a decision.
Grace Toulou
Mommy to Malena