Advertisements
Advertisements
Deaconess home,
I was also born in the Deaconess Home. Does anyone know how much it would cost to petition the court for your original birth cert? Thinking of talking to the atty that handled my adoption in 1970.
Thanks
Deena
Advertisements
I called an attorney today and am waiting fot a call back. I am going to ask about the cost of a petition and even if it would be possible to obtain my birth certificate without major medical issues.
jdwyer looking for you....my email says you responded to the thread that I posted but I do not see anything her new from you...let me know if I am crazy or my email is..lol...also to correct myself i was in the home in 1986 not 85 sorry.
i was born at the Deaconess Home of Redeeming Love in 1975. i have met a lady on this site (not this page) who thinks she was there when my ** was. kind of neat to talk to her about things, she is looking for her son.
anyway, i'm like most people i don't have the $500. to shell out, for something that might not pan out. even if they hire an investagator (misspell) my ** and or bd might not want to be found, then is that $500. down the drain? being a mom mtself i can only imagine what she must have gone through doing what she did, i am guessing she was about 15 or so since she was only in 10th grade, and the non identifing info my bd might not be correct, also was she from OK in the first place or did her parents send her someplace where no one else would see "the ugly problem".
if anyone has had any luck finding there parent/s through the Home please let me know.
i am wishing everone good luck in there searches and keep us posted.
michellelee
Yes, you are right...or I should say were.
I was born in 1975 at Deaconess Hospital in Oklahoma City, OK.
Until about the early 80's, there was also a seperate home for unwed mothers, but it was sort of across the parking lot from the hospital.
The adoption agency is now a seperate agency from the hospital - not sure when they seperated, but I know that in 1975, they were still merged.
This agency was also know as the House of Redeeming Love.
I don't quite understand why they said that your records had been destroyed...did you talk with someone in medical records at the hospital?
I got my medical records of my birth in 1999 when I learned of my own pregnancy. They even have a certain person that takes care copying those "sealed" records. It only took about 10 days to get a copy, but it was a little difficult to get ahold of that person.
Like I said, the actual adoption agency is seperate from the hospital and now has their own office in a suite in a tall building downtown oklahoma city.
Unfortunately, the home for the unwed mothers was demolished around 1996. They had been leasing out the building to a drug rehab center, but needed the space for more parking. I was fortunate enough to have toured the building shortly before I turned 18 - think it was around April of 1993. Was a little sad - mostly looked like a nursing home with a bigger cafeteria/kitchen and several small classrooms. The moms would not leave the premises (not sure if this was a rule, or if it was by choice), so they would have their classes in the home, also had support groups in home. The counselor that gave me the tour said that the moms hardly ever had any visitors while staying there (also not sure if this was by choice or not).
The people in the adoption agency are pretty nice, but not too much can be done to find birthparents since Oklahoma did not have any laws governing adoptees' rights until 1996. When I toured the place, I was told that even if a judge demanded that the seal be broken in order for me to find a donor for a kidney, that they would not have to follow the order and that they would NOT follow the order. Not sure if laws passed in 1996 have any grandfather clause, but don't think so.
I know the agency has a new deal where they will try to contact your birthparents to see if they want to meet you, but you must pay $500 for the "investigation" whether or not they find anything, and will only give you the info if BOTH the birthparents agree to meet you. But supposedly they can get more updated medical info.
Anyways...hope some of this info helps...if you need the phone numbers, addresses, or anything else, feel free to ask!!
Susan
Advertisements
I, too, was told in 1993 that both of my parents were native american - supposedly one was 1/2-3/4 and the other at least 1/4, so should be enough that I could get on the roll, right?
WRONG!! Both cherokee and choctaw tribes sent me letters saying that they could not find any names on their rolls...but I thought that it was extremely odd that they needed my adopted parents names in order to do this search.
I just seem to have this extremely odd feeling everytime I call the agency to try to get some info. See, my son was born with birth defects, and I've tried on more than one occassion to get more medical info on my birthparents, but everytime I call, they ask me for my adopted parents names. I'm 28 years old, but it seems like they still feel that they must ask my adopted parents' permission to do anything for me.
I'm also very suspicious since my birth certificate says caucasian when they tell me I'm supposed to be native american; I think that has something to do with the Indian Child Welfare Act (1967-1977). It seems like most of the babies adopted in the 60's and 70's were of native american descent.
I've also been told that I was in foster care for 30 days after my birth, but that they did that with all the babies - but I've talked to several adoptees born both before and after me, and they weren't "held" for 30 days!! But I wonder if maybe there might be a record of the foster care placement with Oklahoma Department of Human Services.
It just seems that the more I try to find answers, the more questions I find instead.
I've also found that the state is now sponsoring their own adoption registry. They have the info and I think the forms needed on the Oklahoma DHS website.
I sincerely hope that all of you find the info you're looking for, and will continue to post your happenings and info on your search.
Susan
I was adopted from Deaconess home also, 9-14-61, i paid the 500 to find my bmom and they did, but she didn't want me to know, to late they already told me, anyway, i want to see a picture or something they say we look just alike same features etc. she works at a private seconday school with in 8 miles of the adoption place crazy huh, the only ref to my bdad is "snow" which even the caseworker who helped find her said was not normal policy for that date in time. Do you have any ideas on how to find what my real name was? Janice Michaele Scott was my given name at birth, i was told this was fictional only no part of their real names used. Please respond or anyone else with help!!
My husband was born at Deaconess Hospital in 1962, and we were able to obtain his hospital records in 1998. Try again and ask for the Old record department. His b/m used a fictitious name on his hopital records and original b/c, but used her own birth date and home address. You might also try obtaining your original b/c.
Good Luck
Diana
I have rec. my original birth cert. and my name was listed as Janice Michaele Scott, my birth mom name on this same original cert. was listed as Twilla Scott, Hydro, OK, Caddo County, Debbie at Deaconess said if they gave a specific town and county then this info. was correct, the only part that was made up was the name Scott, for our last name mine and b.mom. Debbie also told my b.mom that I had a judge unseal this file and that I had already been to visit Hydro and was asking questions.
She told her that it was only a matter of time before I figured out who she was. My b.dad's last name as least we assume this - the last name is "Snow", Debbie asked me why I hadn't asked about the Snow family when I was in Hydro, I'm not sure if this was her way of saying, this is where he was from also, and I should look closer or what. But with only a fake name to work with, even though this is a small town, I don't know where or how to start looking again. I thought I was so close any thoughts on what to do now? Let me know.
Thanks, Carol
Advertisements
:) Congrats on finding the info you were looking for. I haven't come that far yet, but I know when I do, I'll have butterflys in my tummy as well. It must be like opening a door to the unknown, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
michellelee
Hello,
I was also in the Home of Redeeming in Oklahoma City Oklahoma. I was there from may of 75 til August 18, 1975. So if I can help answer any questions pleas let me know.:cheer:
Hello Mark,
If I can answer any questions for you about the home please feel free to ask. I also am looking fo my son whom was born August 18,1975 i was there from May til August.:flower:
My mother stayed at the deaconess hospital during this time of late 1966 to early 67. I am trying to find the baby boy she had at that time. She had to come up with a fake name and that was Jane Ann Jayroe. Have you had any other leads?
angela
Advertisements
Mark, They told us the same thing when we got my husbands records back in 1995, and he was born in 1962. We then called and asked for the archived records department. You have to know your birth name and date of birth in order to get your records from Deaconess Hospital. We had obtained his original b/c so we did have the required info. After we got his medical records, we also found his b/m date of birth and also her family's home address. Deaconess home is or was called Home of Redeeming Love. Hope this helps. Diana
I do not understand how they can charge us, for our information! For someone to profit, at our expense, seems so...mean. I hate to sound like a child, but these people hold in their hands, our life, our history & our answers. They can pick up the documents & read them & then tell us that they cannot give out the info!! When I went there, I wanted to yank that folder out her hands & run!! She was staring at my mothers name & info, yet she wouldn't tell me a thing! After that, I went to court & judge Kelly ruled that I get to have my file opened & Deaconess denied that right saying it was confidential! I said I know! Thats why I went to court! They were no help to me at all! This was in 1995. Maybe they have changed by now? Sorry guys. I just really needed to vent. But I will not give up my search! I need to know who my birth mother is!