Advertisements
Advertisements
I can find a lot of books and articles on the benefits of co-sleeping for attachment and bonding, for parents getting more sleep, having happier babies etc... But I can't find anything that talks about the more practical side. So I have some questions for other families that co-sleep with their kids:
1. What age(s) are the kids that you co-sleep with?
2. How do you get them to sleep? Do they fall asleep somewhere else and you move them to your bed?
3. Do you put them into your bed awake and they fall asleep on their own?
4. How do the kids who co-sleep at night handle daytime naps? Do you have to lie down with them? Where do they nap?
5. Have do you handle having to leave your kids with someone for an overnight situation?
6. Do you have problems with the child waking up when you get up to use the bathroom, or one parent has to go to work much earlier then the other?
Thanks so much for everyone's input!!
Dad,
We had never heard it called co-sleeping or the family bed until we read it in a book called Dr. Sears Baby book. He advocates a style of attachment parenting that sounds very much like what I read here on the attachment boards. However, he advocates this for all newborns, not specifically adopted children, though he and his wife have had children join there families by birth and by adoption.
Having children sleep in cribs in a seperate room is a fairly new concept (last couple of hundred years) and is generally only practiced in Westernized cultures. Hilary's sister is married to a Japanese man, and the currently live in Japan. I'm not even sure they make or sell cribs in Japan! :p It is assumed that the child will stay with their parents. Some of it is for the practical side of ease of breast feeding, but mostly for the comfort, attachment and bonding of the children to their parents. The theory is that we are there for our children throughout the day, to comfort and love and hold, then why should we expect them to be on there own at night in the dark?
I say, what ever works best works best!
and don't worry, I won't tell DSS!;)
Advertisements
thanks for the education...sounds really wonderful actually and makes alot of sence.
i think it was changed because we also here is that the adults need to take care of themselves and need their time.
but our culture has gotten extremely self centered over the years (thats why seinfield is so funny....lol) sometimes its good to go back to the days when everything just made sence.
i got this email sent to me, but im not sure how to paste it to the forum....it was funny but made alot of sence...ill try to figure out how to do it and share it with you all....
dadfor2
my daughter slept with me for 3 years and when she transitioned into her own room, (she was actually excited about this b/c she got her own room when i married her adoptive step dad, and she'd always had to share with me before) she kept a sleeping bag and pillow on a windowseat next to our bed that was open for her use whenever she wanted it. she used it alot after little brother was born, he slept in a crib next to our bed, and in our bed when i fell asleep breast feeding him) but soon discovered that she got a better nights sleep a room away from baby brother's cry and daddy's snoring! our son, her baby brother, now 3, prefers to climb in bed with big sis when he's not happy in his own room, rather than climb into our bed...and honestly, when my hubby eats something that gives him gas, i climb in bed with one of the kids too!:D
My daughter (almost 3) has slept with us since she was about 7 months old. At first it was simply a practical move for all of us,she slept better, and we did too. When I started admitting our sleeping situation, some family and friends gave me a hard time. However, since I've been upfront about it I've also found out that many people opt for co-sleeping and we needn't act sheepishly about our choice.
To wake up to that precious face is something I cherish. I too agree with earlier posts --- not sure how we'll transition, but I'm not worried about it either. She's very independent and secure -- basically potty trained herself at a little over 2! I'm sure she'll let us know when she's ready for her beautiful big girl bed (that is just a big dust catcher right now!).
Funny, I remember scoffing at others when they told me their kids slept with them. I thought - hmm, you're the parent, you can change that! Now I understand, that's not the issue, there are benefits for both parent and child. And like the choice to stay home or work --- we all need to respect each other's choices.
Well, Liam got his new big boy bed this weekend! He was very excited and wanted to go to sleep in it at 6:00 yesterday after the futon arrived. :) Last night was the first night in it. He fell asleep fine (with me lying down with him) but started to fuss at 12:30. If I hadn't been in such a deep sleep (we've all been sick for the last week) I probably could have gotten to him and reassured him before he woke up. By the time I was coherent he had climbed in with us and was instantly asleep.
We'll just have to keep trying. We're in no rush for him to go, and I think I will miss the cuddling more then he will ;)
Advertisements
We are a co-sleeping family. My boys are 2 & 4 and in their own beds. We introduced each boy to their own room when they weanied, which was just over a year old for each. We didn't push, just told them it was their room and as they grew up and didn't need to sleep with Momma, they would move in there. My oldest took to his right away. It took a while with my youngest, but they share a room and only occassionally does my oldest come to my bed-usually after a bad dream. My younger never sleepswith me anymore.
To teach my kids to sleep on their own I did NOT use the cry-it-out method. It only adds tension and leaves negative feelings about bedtime. I started by taking them to sleep in tehir bed. We read stories together and I laid there until they fell asleep. I did this about a week or so with my youngest, until he got used to his new bed. After that, I started reading the story with them in their bed and laid there for a few minutes, then left and told them I would come back and check on them. They learn quickly to read their books and fall asleep. This is how I did nap time too!
Now, my 2 year old has been in his own room full time for over 6 months. I no longer have to read a story to him in his bed. Often I read to him in the living room-so he won't get the idea for me to come lay with him-and take him to bed. Both boys are allowed several books in their bed, but are required to lay down and be quiet. If they are chronicly noisy, or whatever, they lose one book. It usually ends their. They want to keep the other 2 or so, and don't push it.
If they do need us at night, I don't tell them that they can't come to our room. To do so just creates more insecurity. We let our older son come to our bed if he wakes up really early in the morning or has a bad dream. When they are comfortable and know you are there, the occurrences will taper off. If it is a battle, it will either last for a long time or leave them confused and scared-I know, I've been there. We were never allowed in our parents room.
My daughter who is 12 1/2 has slept with me pretty much since she was 10 months old. I am hoping at some point she will decide she prefers her own room but for now she doesn't.
-2.5, 3 in November.
2. How do you get them to sleep? Do they fall asleep somewhere else and you move them to your bed?
-Falls asleep in living room, moved to own bed, comes to our bed when/if she wakes up.
-Nope.
4. How do the kids who co-sleep at night handle daytime naps? Do you have to lie down with them? Where do they nap?
-She hasn't napped regularly since she was 1.
5. Have do you handle having to leave your kids with someone for an overnight situation?
-I haven't had to do this yet.
6. Do you have problems with the child waking up when you get up to use the bathroom, or one parent has to go to work much earlier then the other?
-For the most part she keeps sleeping, but she'll occasionally wake up and try to get out of bed. The other parent usually gets her to lay back down.
Now My children are getting older my youngest being 6, but I remember when we had our first child it had become popular to have your children sleep with you. All of my friends kids slept with them, as ours did with us.
I am posting because I would be interested to know if anyone has heard of its effect on SIDS in infants. I thought I read years ago that it reduces the risk. Now the other risk is that the baby is smothered, but I really think that is not a issue. Again I am not sure because it has been a few years. I also feel that as a nursing mother it is great to curl up with the baby and nurse right there, then back to sleep.
Everyone of our kids slept with us, the 6 year old still does allot of the week, I think that by the time she is 7 she will be done. She is really good now and sometimes it is our fault she sleeps with us. I love having her there. Yes,, I am loosing my last baby. I will never have this again. I want to hold on. There is an open door policy at our house. We find plenty of alone time. We have these kids for a short time when you really think about it and it is all about doing what we feel is best for them.
We never had probs with sleep overs, they never woke in the night. We all went to bed at the same time, also we usually let them nap in our bed. They had no probs with naps. We just layed them down and they would fall asleep.
So I am interested to know if anyone has heard of the sids risk. Maybe i will look into it.
Funny I think my husband enjoys having a little snugglebug lying againts his back more then I do. The little bed hog is lodged as close as she possibly can. I am really happy with our choice, and it has not had any effect on their independence, in fact they are a little to independent for their own good,,lollol
andi
Advertisements
Believe it or not, the transition usually does happen! My MaryGrace co-slept with me until she was around five. Then, suddenly, she decided that she was big enough to sleep in her own bed. I love attachment parenting. I totally agree with the philosophy that if you give a child what they need in terms of security, they will be confident. She adjusted to the transition better than I did!! I still get up several times during the night to check on her--but she's always sound asleep!
Robyn
Just started co-sleeping, or partially co-sleeping. Here is my reply:
14 mos
Fall asleep in my arms and then I put into crib (that is next to our bed) to sleep. I then go downstairs and get chores done. When I go to bed I move him into the bed while he is asleep.
N/A
Same as above #2 - He naps exclusively in crib
N/A
If he's sleeping he won't wake up when I go to the bathroom. We haven't ironed out the alarm for my DH yet. Seems to wake baby up some of the time...
Robyn, Great post! I agree; for us, AP, makes for a happy, confident, well adjusted kid.
Believe it or not, the transition usually does happen! My MaryGrace co-slept with me until she was around five. Then, suddenly, she decided that she was big enough to sleep in her own bed. I love attachment parenting. I totally agree with the philosophy that if you give a child what they need in terms of security, they will be confident.
My daughter is 3.5 yrs. When she was a newborn, she hated to sleep on her own. She had to be touching us. So, we let her sleep on our chests. It was awesome to feel her sweet baby breathe on my face!
We would try every night to put her into her own bed. If she cried, we picked up and put her in our bed. Eventually, she would sleep one segment in her crib, then two, etc. Now, she is 3 and comes into our room a few times a week if she wakes during the night. We have put a blow-up matress on our floor and she will usually sleep there since the bed is not big enough for us anymore.
As an infant, we would rock her to sleep then TRY to put her in her crib. Now she falls asleep in her own bed.
Naptimes were never a problem. We rocked her to sleep and put her in her crib. She would usually sleep about 3 hours. I don't know what it is about bedtime, but they know bedtime at a very early age.
No, she has spent the night with grandparents and even a friend and did just fine.
Nope, no problems at all! She's a sound sleeper.
One thing I would like to add...We never planned to be co-sleepers. But when exhaustion sets in, you will do what is necessary to sleep. EVERYONE (from my pediatrician to my in-laws) gave me the lecture about how dangerous and terrible it was. We simply had no other choice. People kept telling us, "She will never sleep in her own bed if you start that." SHe is 3.5 and she prefers to be in her own bed, but she knows she is welcome in our bed anytime. I'm trying to say...If if feels right, do it. You know what is best for your child. There is nothing more wonderful than having my snuggly little girl there in the morning.
Advertisements
One 8 1/2 month babe.
She nurses to sleep and I put her in her co-sleeper. When she wakes up (usually at midnight) I lay her next to me and nurse her back to sleep.
Nope. She eats to sleep everytime, even for naps.
She nurses to sleep and then I lay her down. I dont lay down with her. She'll nap wherever I put her, but it's usually on the bed surrounded by pillows. Now that she's getting more mobile, that might change.
OVERNIGHT??!! I havent even left her to go to the store yet!:eek: :)
Nope. Hubby's alarm goes off and she sleeps through it. Our dogs bark, she sleeps through it.
We are having trouble balancing AP, sleep and our coupledom. The baby used to sleep in his bassinet next to our bed and our 4 year old in his bed. At around 4 mos, the baby outgrew his bassinet and he has been sleeping with us ( baby is now 6 mos). The 4 year old has now discovered that during one of his night visits to the bathroom----and he had a fit. He now climbs into our bed too---around midnight. I can tell you its crowded!!!
Now the 4 year old flings himself about during his sleep, the baby kicks his feet and wakes himself ( and me) up and my DH snores ( which wakes one or both of the kids up). So now DH has been camping in the guest room the last couple nights--which is not a good thing. That said, when the kids are sleeping with us---they look like contented little angels.
To make matters worse, our crib in on the floor in pieces ( dh lost the screws) so I am not sure what to do.
When the 4 year old was a baby we used to let him sleep on a futon in our room and we would lie on the futon with him for at least part of the night. I am thinking it might be time to buy another futon.
Would welcome advice--
thanks,
Lexie