Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We just finalized in court on Monday - an infant agency adoption. I don't want to be a wet blanket but I'm not sure that the courtroom is the most appropriate place for this type of ceremony. Our judge happened to be very old school. We had to take the stand and testify and he frowns on women attys in trousers. I guess I'm saying you'll never know who you might get.
As an alternative, I might suggest hosting something at your home, the agency offices, a restaurant, etc. At our placement ceremony at our agency offices we used a blessing for adoptive parents and children from the Catholic Book of Blessings. It is not so Catholic specific and I think any Christian could use it. It has a place where the parents and children (if old enough) make pledges to each other. I bet it could be adapted for your bios and all the other instrumental folks. To get it I had to go to our church office and ask for a copy of the pages. Any church would be happy to do that I'm sure. Also, the beliefnet website has some good ideas and there is a book but I can't recall the title. I think you could find it in one of the ceremony descriptions on beliefnet. If I recall the site has descriptions for some Jewish and native elements as well. There might be some neat things for foster parents there as well. We also used 2 Steven Curtis Chapman songs and Testify to Love by Wynonna.
Good luck!