Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Great question! My dh is Latino, and I'm... technically White, though I identify specifically as Polish-American, bc I immigrated here as a child, and I remember my birth country, still speak my native language, and in a lot of other ways do not relate to typical waspian values.
Honestly, we don't usually think of ourselves as a mixed couple - dh is sometimes thought to be Lebanese, other times just White, although he looks plenty Latino to me (which is why I fell for him! lol) Plus, he does have some indigenous traits, as his great-grandmother was I believe Pipili Indian.
The best part of our marriage is that we both bring a unique culture and language to the home. We're Latina/Polish-by-association, and are involved with each other's cultural events. We intend to teach our kids both of our native languages in addition to English.
As another poster mentioned, one thing that irks me is the comments people make about Latinos, especially along the lines of "illegals" and "non-English-speakers" when it's clear they don't know that 1) I'm married to "one of those", and 2) I'm "one of those" immigrants they berate as well.
We've been blessed that both of our families have been uber-supportive of us since day one. DH never dated Latinas for some reason, so his family wasn't surprised with me, and in fact they were thrilled that I already spoke Spanish. And my mom did admit upon my asking her straight-up if she would've preferred for me to marry a Polish guy (would've NEVER happened, btw!), that she did, but now that she knows Oscar, he's like a second son to her. And in fact, they are alike in a lot of their preferences and values, even when I don't mesh with it.
Actually, I'd say our biggest "problem" (if you can call it that) is not being recognized as a mixed couple. I always pass for a WASP, and folks don't always realize dh is Latino either (I guess bc dh is so tall and speaks fluent English).