Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My husband is black and I'm white. . .we're both from small Southern towns, and we expected to face some challenges from extended family or others in the community. However so far we've had lots of support and acceptance. I think one of the biggest challenges comes more often when we're apart than when we're together--people making insensitive or racist remarks to one of us not knowing we're in an interracial relationship--we've both had this experience. Even those who are open to our relationship are still sometimes surprised by it. I guess it's just human nature that people, when they hear you speak of your husband or wife, just assume they look somewhat like you. I had a new co-worker recently tell me, when she realized my husband is black, that she'd seen us at a dinner, but she assumed I was married to the white man sitting on the other side of me.
We live in a diverse, college town and have a diverse group of close friends. One of our blessings is that we are very open to different cultures, beliefs, and traditions--and people realize that as soon as they see us. We're trying to adopt, and we're open to any race. Our child will be raised in a home that already brings together different cultures and skin tones, and hopefully our experiences will help us to be more sensitive to our child's needs.