Advertisements
Advertisements
I AM LOOKING FOR MY SISTER WHO WAS BORN AT A HOME FOR UNWED MOTHERS OUT OF WICHITA, KANSAS. HER BIRTHDATE IS MARCH, 17, 1957. IF ANYONE OUT THERE READS THIS AND KNOWS HOW TO LOCATE A PERSON BORN AT A HOME THAT DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE-PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WONDER WHAT THEY WOULD HAVE DONE WITH ALL THE RECORDS THEY HAD OF THE MANY WOMEN WHO STAYED THERE AND GAVE BIRTH AND HAD THEIR BABIES ADOTPED OUT?? ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU. IT WAS A CATHOLIC ADOPTION-I THINK-AS MY MOTHER SAID THEY ALWAYS FOUND HOMES FOR THE CHILDREN OF THE SAME RELGION OF THE BIRTHMOM. AND THIS HOME WAS IN BUSINESS FOR MANY YEARS. NAME OF HOME COULD HAVE BEEN BOOTH?? THINK MY MOHTER SAID THE BIRTH TOOK PLACE AT THE HOME-NOT AT A HOSPITAL. HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WITH ANY INPUT ON WHAT TO DO TO FIND MY SISTER.
Thought I would respond to your message. A lot of the babies placed for adoption through Booth Memorial were placed through different agencies. I have a good friend that had a child at Booth in Wichita, KS and her child was placed through Kansas Children Service League. I also know of another woman that had a child at Booth here in Wichita and her child was placed through Lutheran Social Service.
Advertisements
Hi, I was Born in Kansas City Kansas and Adopted In Topea Kansas, at least that is what my adopive mom told me. All the info that I have is that my birth mom was 16 years old at the time she gave birth to me in Feb. of 1968 and gave me the name Tina Louise. I got adopted in July of 1968. Something about the salevation army was mentioned. Can you help me? Thank you.
Sincerely, Mustang
1 Liked
 likes this.
sorry that i can't help you. if i knew how to find my sister-then i could tell you how to find your birth family. but since the laws are they way they are-i will probably never find my sister-who would be 47 years old now. i would think your adopted mother would have your birth certificate-though-and on it should be the name of your birth mother. or try to find out where you were born for sure-then ask to see the hospital records in that town from that time era. that is all i can suggest. if i lived in kansas-i would go the hospitals in wichita and ask them to check all their birth records from the date my sister was born-but it might be--against the law--to tell me that info-but-good luck to you.
I have a sister that was also born there and I think you need to contact the Salvation Army in Topeka. It was also known as the Salvation Booth Memorial. The records were saved and sent to a Salvation Army Headquarters or something of that nature out of Ill. However I think that the birth parent has to contact them, then they send paperwork to be filled out by the bith parent and then it has to be sent back and then they will send any records they have or info. We are in this process now. You can also yahoo salvation booth memorial and pull up the web site marked booth memorial hospital and maternity home contact information. They have the contact info and some info to read. I think you or the birth parent needs to cantact Astrid Steinsland 1-847-294-2090 This is the Central Territory Headquarters for the Salvation Army 10 W Algonquin Rd Des Plaines, Il. 60016-6006. Sorry I have rambled on but I hope this helps you also on the web sit you can click on and check to see if they have registered saying they were born there and looking for there birth family. Click on bottom left for registry. Good Luck. Christina M
Christina, thank you. do you by any chance now the link to the website that you are referring to?
Thanks again, Mustang
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
website for Booth Memorial homepage
[url="http://members.aol.com/babygirlmanzel/booth.html"]http://members.aol.com/babygirlmanzel/booth.html[/url]
I hope this helps
Hi keithswife, I too am looking for my sister that was born in an unwed mothers home in wichita, kansas. She was born 11-14-56 and was then adopted from the children's service league of witchita in Jan. 1957. My moms records indicate the baby was born at a place called Booth Memorial Hospital in witchita, ks. by a Dr Rupp. don't know if this info helps you just thought it was quite a close story.
I don't know if this helps or not. The child could have been placed as a private adoption or through an agency. There are three agencys in Wichita - Kansas Children's Service League, Catholic Charities and Lutheran Social Service of Kansas and Oklahoma. LSS has closed, but you can reach someone regarding adoption records by calling 316-685-5477, you can reach someone at KCSL by calling 316-942-4261, Catholic Charities - 316-263-6941. If you tell them what you are needing you should be able to get some help.
Hi,
I was watching PBS and they had a special on History Detectives about Unwed Mother homes in Kansas. So I wanted to find out more so I googled and found your post. Here's the link to the show:
[url=http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigations/311_unwed.html]History Detectives . Investigations - Unwed Mothers' Home | PBS[/url]
Advertisements
[url=http://werethelost.com/umhl.aspx]Unwed Mothers Homes[/url]
list of unwed mothers homes and other resources
I have information to contact the Salvation Army that has taken over the Booth records. I have forms they e-mailed me to request the birth records from the Kansas region. Please let me know if anyone would like me to e-mail them the forms. The woman I spoke with was very nice and it was only about 6 months ago, so info should be current.
Please help me find my daughter. She was born at that Booth Memorial Hospital in 1966. I am 64 and I've held this in for so long.
Hi Mustang, My husband has been searching for his half sibling and all the dates match your post (Feb 8th birthday). His mothers name is Tina! Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Hi, I was Born in Kansas City Kansas and Adopted In Topea Kansas, at least that is what my adopive mom told me. All the info that I have is that my birth mom was 16 years old at the time she gave birth to me in Feb. of 1968 and gave me the name Tina Louise. I got adopted in July of 1968. Something about the salevation army was mentioned. Can you help me? Thank you.
Sincerely, Mustang
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements