Advertisements
Advertisements
My late father was born and/or adopted in Christchurch on December 7th 1944. It is believed his birth father was an American soldier, so I am guessing the parents may have been unwed at the time.
His adopted name was Christopher John Heald, born a large baby blonde with blue eyes. He was a tall and solid-built man with a substantial I.Q (attending university in his mid-teens). He was adopted by Fred and Freda Heald (nee Campbell) in an adoption facilitated by my great aunt Doris Campbell who worked for NZ Social Services at the time.
I am looking for my biological grandparents and extended family - out of interest, not necessarily to make contact.
Any help greatfully received.
Sarah.
I am also an American Warbabie now aged 60yrs. I am sorry to hear that your dad is no longer alive.
I found my Dad when I was 40yrs after 27yrs of searching.
Can you email me and give me some clues.
My mum is still alive and she had adopted me out age 2yrs. She came looking for me when I was 32yrs and that gave me some more help in my search.
usnzkidd@xtra.co.nz
Advertisements
Hi Sarah
I can not help you with your search for your fathers biological family but I do believe that I am one of his adoptive family!!
My husband and I are trying to adopt and I was reading this site doing a bit of research and the name Heald jumped out at me. My mum is Sue (nee Campbell), daughter of John and Vi Campbell. John was Freda's brother. I rang mum to say I had seen this post and she was saddened to hear about your father.
I just wanted to wish you well in your search and I hope you are able to find some information.
Kind regards
Kate
Oh my goodness! I only just found this reply! Yes it is sad news as both Christopher and Margaret his sister have died, as did Fred later on. However I do still keep in touch with Murray Gibson (Margarets husband) who married an absolutely brilliant lady called Leonie a few years ago. I know that Alan was fairly present when Fred was at his sickest (something John would probably be amused by given his & Freda's bickering).
Because of the early passing of all these characters in my family I really don't know much about my Dad's life or his adoption. Any light that anyone can shed would help. There's even a rumour about that my Dad may have had a child earlier in New Zealand when they were living in Nelson, as a female friend of his fostered out her baby to Fred & Freda for some time (which makes us curious as to why and if Dad was the other parent?).
So you must be my great-cousin? Do write back and tell more!
I have one other sister Tilly who is 26, and I have just turned 30. She lives in Sydney, and I am in Hobart, Tasmania as is my Mum who has re-partnered in the last ten years. Tilly works in the film industry and I worked in the music industry until recently retraining as a Youth/Social Worker.
My direct email is sarahheald@hotmail.com or snail mail is 408 Argyle St North Hobart Tas 7000.
Sorry if I seem over-zealous but I get very excited to find out anything about my family!
Sarah
Hi
That's pretty much all I know, that he went back and forth a bit being fostered as a baby, but then was ultimately adopted by Fred & Freda Heald. He was born in St Andrews on Dec 7th 1944, and it was facilitated by Doris Campbell who was Freda's sister and a social worker. There are rumours that the US Soldier was of some Slavic descent but no confirmation. That is all I know :-(