Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I thought it would be fun to list some of your favorite family vacations ... that way others can have ideas for planning one ...
thanks!
NancyNic
Our family, compliments of my 90+ yo grandmother, were taken on a 10 night cruise over Christmas. There were 11 of us total...- 4 adults- late 30's-early 40's, 2 adults mid 60's (my parents) my grandmother 90+(great grandmother to the little ones)- and 4 children- girls 15, 12, 10 & 8. As a side note we invited my husband's parents (who take frequent vacations and could well afford such a trip) and they delined. After hearing the excitement from their new grandaughter on what a wonderful time she had, I can't help but imagine they then regretted what they had missed.
Our child is the 8 yo. She is foster to adopt and all of our relatives live out of state. She had met her "cousins" over Thanksgiving, but only for a few hours. The cruise was wonderful in that the children were able to spend time together. My husband, daughter and I spent time together by the pool and our daughter at times participated in the kid's club (which was free) so DH and I got to spend some much deserved time to ourselves.
Everyone in the group did what they wished. No pressure to do things as a group. As a matter of fact there was only one day in which we spent the entire day together and that was Christmas Eve. We were 11 of 18 people for a snorkeling excursion on a catamaran in Barbados.
Every evening the 11 of us shared dinner together in the dining room discussing our adventures of the day. And the best part for all the Mom's...us women sat back after dinner on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day reveling in the fine gourmet dinner we had just had consumed, NOT HAVING to HAVE to cook it AND WE did NOT have to clear dishes or CLEAN UP!
All in all it made some special memories and everyone appreciated not having to do all that last minute hustle bustle which would have occured had we stayed at home.
My parents and grandmother will not live forever and I am thankful for my daughter to have such happy memories.
Advertisements
That cruise sounds great!
We camp a lot as a family and do want to do a cruise. Several years ago, before we had kids, we went on a windjammer cruise at Christmas and on it was a group of about 15 that was a family - grandparents, parents, grandchildren. It looked like lots of fun. I'd love to do that in 30 years with my kids and grandkids!
In September and October of 2001 while waiting to be matched, we went trekking across Italy for five weeks with my parents. We invited dh's parents, but they declined. We spent most of our time outside of bustling Rome in Tuscany and the Cinque Terre (or Italian Riviera). We have traveled extensively but never trans-Atlantically with my parents. We intended to return (all of us) with our dd this fall, just after she turned three. But. . . now that we have a new peanut, we have opted to wait a few years. My dad, a retired engineer, cannot wait to share Florence and the genius of Da Vinci with my kids. We are also anxious to share travels to Thailand and The Islands with them.
Our dd has enjoyed many trips in the US since her birth, mostly along the West Coast. We are anxious for upcoming travel, with both of our kids, to The Big Easy for Jazz Fest.
That hiking sounds way cool!
We have done Disney which we all LOVE - and we go with another family which is fun.
Next spring, when our kids are 10 and 13, we hope to go to Arizone to visit friends and to do the Grand Canyon. We thought that would be a good.
We went to Washington DC this past spring and that was GREAT! Needed more time. The kids really enjoyed all the monuments and stuff - it was really interesting for us all. Of course, we only had time to do ONE of the Smithsonions (sp) - need weeks to do them all!