Advertisements
Advertisements
For those of you who can access the Discovery Health Channel either via cable or satellite, there is a new episode of "Adoption Stories" entitled "The Gustavsen Family" which centers around an older child adoption from Guatemala City.
The reason for my personal interest in this particular episode is because the child, Naomy, lived in the same hogar which cared for our son from Sept 2002--January 2003. The hogar and its director, Feliciano Carrillo, are featured in this episode and it gave me goosebumps to see him and the hogar again. (happy goosebumps!)
Aaron is home with me today and also saw the show and when Feliciano was first pictured he jumped up and down, pointing and screaming "Papi! Papi!" :)
This episode also has some good footage of Guatemala City and the surrounding area--which I think would be very interesting to anyone who hasn't yet had the chance to travel.
This episode will be on again today (4/13/03) at 3:00 ET and then again on 4/18 at 9:30 a.m. ET as well as 4/20 at 11:00 a.m. ET--I'm sure it will also be on in May (they seem to rotate a handful of episodes) but DiscoveryHealth doesn't have their website updated to a May schedule yet. (can't imagine why not...)
I just jumped up to turn the t.v. on.....it's 11:00am in California...thought i might be missing it because the schedule seems to change on me....Anyhow - it's on at 1pm hear and then again at 4pm.....etc..etc..
I'll be watching it too...thanks for the info!
~C
Advertisements
I believe there are a total of three adoption stories now that focus on Guatemala. One shows a couple adopting a little boy named Christian, and meeting his birthmom at the hogar.
The second involves a little boy named Max (I think?) who was living with a foster family, and the third is the one crathke describes below.
I watch these all the time, and they ALWAYS make me cry!! :)
Kelley
Advertisements
I wanted to let everyone know that the Discovery Health Channel is no longer producing Adoption Stories and I am so sad about this! Please let your voice be heard and let them know what a great show it is and it reconsider!
yOU MAY CONTACT Discovery Health Channel producer Neil Tagliamonte at 215-928-
1414 ext. 7183!!
tHEY ACTUALLY won a Annual Daytime Emmy last year for the show so I have no idea why they are not producing it any longer. It is such a shame!
tHANKS,
tAMMY
What a shame! That was a great series. The show that won the daytime emmy was filmed in our area and I am proud to say I know the birth mother and she is an amazing young woman. She has spent a lot of time with our children and we are blessed by that.
The adoptive father is a youth pastor at a church just around the corner and their story was an amazing one. They are a remarkable family.
Of course, the Guatemalan episodes always hit close to home and I loved seeing the parents and their children come together as a family.
There's so much on television now that is not fit to watch, it's a shame to see this good one go.
Thank you for the update.
Take care,
Rhonda
I only get 3 major networks and public TV! I received a postcard w/ this info....not sure who knew to send it to me, but glad to know about it.
CBS has a special "A Home for the Holidays" airing Wed. Dec 22 at 8pm EST/PST and 7pm MST/CST. "Jamie Fox to host 1hr special on the joys of adoption."