Advertisements
Advertisements
I took my adopted 3yr old grandson to an ENT (ear,nose & throat) Dr that my pediatrican referred me to who's alittle over an hour away. I went in and filled out the mound of paperwork and sat down with my son bouncing off the walls. The receiptionist called me up to go over my paperwork and looked where I put a big 'O' with a '/' through it for my employment status. She said " Your UNEMPLOYED???" Yes, I stay at home with 2-3 yr olds and it doesn't pay me to work outside the home. She then asked if the 2-3yr olds were twins. No, I said. He's adopted, I'm actually his grandmother. She covered her mouth and said " You shouldn't of told me that." WHY? What difference does that make? I'm his mother now! She said that see needs to see his adoption papers or he can't see the doctor. I told her I keep those in my safe (they're private anyhow). Needless to say I was fuming when I left. She didn't ask for a birth certificate or his SS# which lists me and my hubby as his parents. I'm wondering if this is legal anyhow. Any one have any experiences like this????
It is very common procedure, for Physicians to ask for either a Power of Attorney even as Grandma, or Adoption paperwork to receive treatment.
They should have told you this on the phone though!
Advertisements
These new laws about confidentiality are so vague that everyone (including doctors and dentists) have set extreme policies to make sure they comply.
My 17 year old nephew needed a bug bite examined and the doctors office made me sign an affadavit that I was his legal guardian. Like you, I do not make a habit of carrying his guardianship papers in my purse.
I pay for his car insurance, but I can't get information about his policy over the phone.
You might as well get used to it, and just provide what you need to regular caregivers, and figure you'll need to lie to the rest.
Trish
Since we (and you) are not biological parents, it's not unusal for daycare providers, hospitals, etc. to request you provide proof that you're a Legal Parent and can consent to treatment/care, etc.
When Ryan came, we had to provide our legal guardianship papers (as our adoption wasn't finalized) to our ped and daycare provider, then be sure to update them with our finalization decree. They're required by law to keep these records confidential.
HTH
Regina
I even told the receiptionist "Does this mean I have to bring in paperwork for children I gave birth to also???" Once they're adopted they're OURS. They're not puppies from a pound. Like I posted before, she didn't even ask for his birth certificate or his SS Card. It's like he's being treated like he's not really ours. No one needs to see something that private like adoption papers. I will refuse(from now on) or LIE LIE LIE, which I hate to do. She even told me that they couldn't even see 'foster kids', which he is definitely not. I'm still hot over this issue, and will be for a long time. It's like not treating someone like a minority and getting away with it in this day and age. "I don't want to see you because you have slanted eyes, or your skin isn't the right color." The receptionist even said that they also needed the birth mothers okay for him to see the doctor, how ignorant is that???
Of course you are their mother, both legally and emotionally.
Birth parents whose rights have been terminated cannot give consent to anything, in the eyes of the law they are 'as a stranger' even if they're biologically related to an adopted mother.
I would suggest once you calm down a bit that you contact the doctor directly and voice your concerns. Offer to educate the office staff on adoptive parent relationships, etc. Get materials from your adoption coordinator and other resources.
I would never and don't lie either. Instead, when I do run accross people who are obviously misinformed (and I assume if they're judgemental that they're really just misinformed) then I educate with a smile (even if it hurts).
Hang in there,
Regina
Advertisements
I'm shocked at the treatment you received. Unlike the other posters we've never had to show a thing. When our child was born last year I called the doctor from the hospital to set up a two week checkup. I explained the adoption over the phone, they said no prob, bring baby in. The only paperwork we had stated baby was released to our care via the agency with the mother's permission pending the adoption, no finalization papers, no ss card, no ammended BC. Infact, it was many weeks before termination of rights were signed, long after our first dr. visit. I realize that there are new privacy laws since last year, but come on! Showing his BC is proof enough. As for keeping any of our adoption papers on file at the doctor's office, I think not, they don't have my marriage license on file proving I'm my husband's wife, it's just assumed. We have finalized and no one wanted the document or cared for that matter. Could there be something in the state laws? I'd call another office and inquire about their policies as if you are considering becoming a new patient.
IMO, unless they ask EVERY parent who brings in a child for proof of parenthood then they ARE discriminating against adoptive parents. Period.
I would let them know, perhaps even find an attorney friend to write a letter. And I would not return. For too many years adoptive families, and especially adopted children have been second class citizens. There is NO excuse for this 'special' treatment.
I'm sorry you had this experience. I would have been fuming too.
I did find out (from a lawyer) that what they did was illegal. My adoption papers are "PRIVATE", had my son of been older (and he wasn't aware of his adoption) and he'd learned at that time he was in fact adopted in that dr's office, a huge lawsuit could of ensued. When a person is adopted, it's private, the courtroom is cleared and only the judge and a stenographer along with us are allowed in this room. In any case I learned that it's illegal for them to of demanded to see his "private' adoption papers. I'm debating on whether I should fill out the 'medical board' papers for them to be investigated and maybe stop someone else from having to go through this travesty. :)
I was pretty sure that they were discriminating. But unless you inform them, they'll keep on doing the same thing and hurting other families. You could report it, write them a letter, etc.
good luck!
Advertisements
rosie,
ill never forget, though very different situation then yours, i brought my then 5 yr son to the EW for some sitches...no big deal
anyway, we both have different last names, then she said to me "your son is so handsome, he must look like his mother"
i nearly died. My sons birthmom, who he does look like, abused the crap out of him...
you would think the last name difference might give her a clue.
one thing i have learned, is that we have to form tougher skin. I have kept a letter in my pocket from the social worker, just in case.
but id like to point out though
if you have adopted this child, then this child is yours...you never have to or should have to explain it.
the word adoption should never of even come up...
chances are the procedure is more of foster children then adopted and some people just dont know the difference
you would not be lieing to say the child is yours.
not sure why you would even of said the child was adopted. A simple "no, they are not twins"might of just saved you some grief.
you never have to explain why your child is your child. its no ones business at the ENT except you and your childs if he/she is adopted.
hope im making sence
dadfor2
When my sister and I were adoped eons ago, our family peditrician required copies of the adoption papers so that he may treat us as "our parent's children". It burned them then and when I called and requested copies of my records in the early 1990's thinking that it may help my quest in search of my birthmother, it irritated me to have them think that we were not "our parent's children".
BTW, I finally DID receive my records..... with all the needed information kindly "inked" out....
Originally posted by dadfor2
I'll never forget, though very different situation then yours, i brought my then 5 yr son to the EW for some sitches...no big deal
anyway, we both have different last names, then she said to me "your son is so handsome, he must look like his mother"
i nearly died. My sons birthmom, who he does look like, abused the crap out of him...
you would think the last name difference might give her a clue.
dadfor2
Hey Dad,
It's not all that unusual for kids and parents to have different last names, outside of adoption circumstances. My partners last name is Smith, her mother's last name is Jones (maiden name), her stepfather's (her legal guardian) is Brown. Her sister's (full biological) last name is White, since she legally changed it as a teenager out of protest to the family. They grew up having to answer these same questions and show proof of guardianship as well.
Friends of ours had a baby a few years ago. A married straight couple where the wife kept her maiden name. When their son was born they gave him the father's last name. When the baby was 3 months old the Mom was going to fly home to her parents and hubby was going to join a week later. They would not let her fly with the baby even though she had his birthcertificate until the father faxed them a letter of consent!! Had she taken his name when they married, the airline would not have even questioned it!!! :eek:
With all that being said, I think it is appalling for a doctor's office (or anywhere) to treat anyone differently because they were adopted. The only time I have felt the need to share the fact that I was adopted with doctors is in reference to having no medical history. Beyond that it is none of their concern.