Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I was hospitalized short term for depression in North Carolina on three different occassions, 2 years apart, 15 years ago.(mother died, grandmother died and exhusband took off with my children)
I answered those truthfully on the paperwork, and had to provide dates, addresses, doctors names and medication taken (and no - after 15 years I did not know all of it, but I answered the best I could.)
I was doing great for the next eight years, and then hit a bump in the road of life. Seeing the signs of depression again (but wanting to take responsiblity and head it off at the pass) I saw a doctor for a perscription to 'get my head cleared', and I saw him like three months.
The following year is when I applied for the foster license, and I had to go back to him and get a written note saying what my problem was, what meds I was on, and if he thought this would be a continuing problem.
My doctor answered the questions. Then the state wrote back and wanted to know his personal evaluation of me, and if I would make a stable, committed foster mother, able to carry out the demands of motherhood.
My doctor was flaberghasted by some of their questions, and called me to make sure I understood what was being asked. I told him I had nothing to hide, and by all means, answer everything.
He did, but he did tell me that never before in his years of practice, had he never experianced such tenacity. He told them that I would make a better foster mother than most natural, normal women he knew!:D