Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Before the passage ot the Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA) of 1997 many states actually had LAWS that would NOT allow a Foster Family to adopt a child they had fostered.....
I actually know a woman in California who lost her home, husband and everything because she decided to fight the system and try to force the state to allow her to adopt a foster child back in the 70's.
Most of the states that would not allow foster families to adopt felt it was a 'Conflict of Interest' and wondered just how things would work if the Foster Families started wanting to keep the children they were caring for--and how would that affect things working out with the biological family?
My aunt and uncle had over 35 Foster children come an go.... I remember my aunt teaching the biological mothers how to hold their babies---how to change diapers--how to comfort them when they cried....My aunt cared for much more then the baby--She cared for the sucess of the childs family and she wanted them to succeed so the child would move on and my aunt could bring in another....Some of the mothers and fathers my aunt and uncled mentored over the years became wonderful families and at my uncles memorial they came and paid them honor...They never could have made it without the REAL love and comfort from the Orphan and his wife--my aunt and uncle.
That is what Foster parenting used to be when it worked.... A foster mother would actually help the biological mom get her life together--clean up and feel like she actually could suceed...
Now I read thread after thread of people who do not even want to get out of the car to meet the people who are losing their children....let alone offer any support or motivation or comfort...Now I see more and more people GETTING into Foster care because the 'think' it is a great way to adopt a new baby... and then they complain that it drags on for years...or the child is returned to less then perfect lives...
When Clinton signed the Adoption and Safe Families Act and included the mandate that forced states to allow foster parents to adopt children they had cared for--- the MOTIVATION behind including this point was awesome and personally I feel one of the single things that president did that I respect....
The reason it was important to Force States to allow adoption of Foster Children was NOT about the tiny BABIES--it was about the 15 year old girl with little or no home of ever being adopted being allowed to take the name and be part of the family she had lived with for 5 years.... It was about the children who had been placed at 2 years old into a Foster Home and had been there for 2 or three years and now would be placed for adoption and possibly suffere real attachment issues as a result...It is one thing to move a child from a horrible life and very different to move them from the good life and the only life they ever knew.
There is actually review being considered on a National Level of the rippling implications of the Foster to Adopt program...It seems that MANY people have found it to be a FREE way to get a new born and word has spread--and too many people are trying to jump on the bandwagon--In the meantime there are still many children waiting to be adopted...who are already legally free--I expect congress and our government to 'TWEEK' the laws in the future and I personally intend to be making my feelings known as I have been for the past year.