Advertisements
Advertisements
i am in urgent need of a medical history. my 8 yr old son has a sever learning disability and speech impairment. my 5 yr old also has a speeck impairment. my 2 yr old was born with sever infantile scoliosis. the att that handled my adoption is deceased and his wife ( who has his records) refuses to help me in any way. the local DSS was not involved in my adoption and they have no record of my adoption.
my question is. Is there any way to get the widow to give me the adoption records without going to court? I don't have the money to go to court or to travel to SC where the adoption was handled and finalized. Does anyone have any ideas???
please help if you can
thank you martha ann
Martha Ann,
I don't have an answer to your question. But I likewise have a daughter with a severe problem and know the urgency a mom feels toward getting medical records. In my case what I've learned so far has not been very helpful. Still I keep searching.
I don't understand all of the abbrieviations you have used in your post. Wasn't your adoption handled through the courts? Am I correct in understanding that you are adopted, but your children are your biological children? I am not an attorney, but I do have some experience in legal matters. (I am a forensic accountant). I could not give you any advice, but I might be able to help you find answers.
I have also noticed that the "Search Geru" has been very helpful to other adoptees by providing information to navigate legal hurdles. Perhaps she can be of help here, too.
Carolyn Kay
Advertisements
hi,
yes they are my children by birth and yes i was adopted. the court handled the adoption but it was a private adoption. the local department of social services was not involved. it states this in my decree of adoption. i was born in charleston south carolina 12/17/1970 at the medical university hospital. delivered by dr william Mclean. the judge was Judge Robert R. Mallard and my adoption was finalized march 19, 1971 in charleston family court. i have written to the court but they are not even allowed to say that they have such records. i contacted the att widow and she has all his records but refuses to help.
I live in the mountains of NC now and cannot afford to go all the way down to charleston to go to court. i can't even afford an att. not that it would help. i was told that he has to be life or death for the state of South Carolina to open adoption records.
i thought i had someone helping me but now when i email them they won't respond to them. so looks like i am stuck. i do't know what else to do. Hunter is 2 1/2 and has already been through so much. the drs don't know why he has scoliosis so sever at such a young age. they want a medical history for me to kind of go by. but i can't get them to write a storng enough worded letter to take to court. if you can help please email me at
Mpierce621@yahoo.com. thank you very much.
Martha Ann,
The Search Geru gave me this suggestion.
Why don't you give her these recommendations:
...post in the South Carolina message board and have her ask for search angel help. Her subject line should read: NEED SEARCH ANGEL FOR SOUTH CAROLINA ADOPTION
We both are both hoping someone will respond who will help you for little or no charges. I know with all the medical expenses you are enduring money must be really tight.
She gave me a site that I'll investigate, also.
Other friends will be back in the office here tomorrow.
As my friend, Cheryl, says,
(((hugs)))
Carolyn Kay
Welcome to the Search and Reunion Message Board!
For adoption related information and records:
South Carolina Department of Social Services
Division of Human Services
PO Box 1520
Columbia, SC 29202-1520
(803) 898-7707
Toll Free: (800) 922-2504
Fax: (803) 898-7792
Non-Identifying Information: An adopted adult, birth parents and adoptive parents can receive information at the discretion of the CEO of the adoption agency.
Identifying Information: An adopted adult age 21 or older can receive information on the birth parents and birth siblings, and birth parents and birth siblings can receive information regarding the adopted adult if affidavits with consent to release information have been filed with an agency. The agency must maintain a registry containing the affidavits of consent. All who register must go through counseling with the agency.
Using the South Carolina Adoption Registry: The following persons may use the adoption registry: adopted adults, birth parents and birth siblings either through the agency or State.
South Carolina Department of Social Services
Adoption Reunion Registry
PO Box 1520
Columbia, SC 29202-1520
(803) 734-6095
(800) 922-2504
Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized.
California Website:
Other great websites to check out:
[url]http://www.adoptionchat.com[/url]
[url]http://www.adoption.com[/url]
[url]http://www.adopting.org[/url]
[url]http://registry.adoption.com/[/url]
Advertisements
It's GURU, that's "u" not "e". I will write it 100 times.
Sorry, Colleen, I will learn to spell.
Thank you so much for your response.
Martha Ann,
Do I understand that there was no adoption agency involved, only this attorney? If that's correct, your best bet might be to call the SC Department of Social Services at the toll-free number Colleen provided (1+800-922-2504). See if there is a form or packet they can send you. I'm pretty good with forms. If you receive anything, I'll be glad to help you. I cannot act as your attorney, of course. But I can help you through the maze, if legal counsel does not come forward. Email me using the contact information under my profile.
Carolyn Kay
Contact the Bar Association in the state where the attorney practiced. They usually have a process to deal with the files of an attorney who is deceased.