Advertisements
Advertisements
My wife and I have been married for 10 years now, and coming into my marriage, she had 2 wonderful kids. They are now 16 and 13. We also have two wonderful girls together. My stepkids haven't seen their biological father or his family since 1998, and his parental rights have been terminated (since '98)(he thought by giving up his parental rights, and a judge approving this, he'd get out of paying his arrears child support and his current order, enforced in 98). Although he still pays court ordered child support (he has no choice in this matter, it's court ordered, though we haven't bothered him or tried to modify it), he nor his family has had ZERO contact with the kids (believe me, the kids as well as us are just FINE with this, lol). I very much, and they very much, would like to give them our family last name, and adopt them. I've basically raised them since a very young age, and to tell you the truth, I don't even introduce them as my "stepkids", because I'm their "Dad" and nothing will change that. Anyhow, I'd like to adopt them. How can I go about doing this in Arizona without a major hassle. The kids and I don't want this to turn into a farce. Anyone been through something similiar that could help? ANY ANY advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Andrew
I am not sure of the laws in your state. Here in California, it was easy. We went through a para legal place and that was that. Ours was a bit different because we waited till each child turned 18, making it an adult adoption. But if parental rights have been terminated, I don't see the problem. He would no longer have to pay child support, but any arrears should still be paid. I would pick up a yellow pages, or see if your courthouse holds instructional legal clinics. Good Luck! Debi
PS...whenever I have a legal question, I call at least 4 places listed in the yellow pages as having free phone consultations! Between all those replies generally lies the actual facts. If they all say pretty much the same thing, you can assume that is actual law. If not, call more places until you get enough of the same replies to feel secure with the information.
Advertisements