Advertisements
Advertisements
I know that international adoptions have been banned in Romania, but I have a question that I hope someone can answer.
I have heard that the children will be available for adoption by their bio grandparents or other Romanian families, but if this is not an option, then what??? Are they sent to a foster home, orphanage or institution for the rest of their lives?? I have also heard that when these children reach a certain age that they will be available for international adoption. So, I guess my question is...does anybody know if this is true??
Thanks for your help!!!
Kathi
Dear Kathi,
I have been going to Romania since 1991 as a volunteer working with the orphans in western Romania. My understanding is that the plan is to close the institutions by 2007 when they hope to get into the EU. Yes, children will go to foster/adoptive homes. Foster care in RO is longer term than our system. When the children turn 16 they can no longer but be brought in the the US for adoption. I have a friend who tried to adopt an older boy last year but he turned 16 before the process started.
Karleen PS. I am leaving again for Romania in two weeks and should have more up to date info.
Advertisements
Karleen,
Thanks for the info.
If you hear any new info, would you please let me know??
Kathi