Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, I am a journalist with the Canadian Broadcast Corporation. On November 1, Albertans will be able to access identifying info contained in adoption records. Is there anyone out there who will be doing this?
Hi
Yes the records will become open for those adoptees born in Alberta and for birthmothers that gave birth in Alberta and surrendered the child for adoption -------provided a veto hasn't been filed by the other party to prohibit the release of identifying information.
As the application for release of identifying information has been online for a couple of months now (on the Post Adoption Registry~Government site), many adoptees and birthmothers/birthfathers have already completed the form and mailed it in.
They won't start working on the files until November.....and imagine they have hundreds upon hundreds of correspondence to attend to.
~Shannon
Advertisements
Hello
My name is Kathy Sim Seguin and I am a foster parent in Edmonton. I currently look after 3 children for the Alberta gov't. I have a friend who is adopted and has been trying to find her birth parents. I think she might be interested in your offer.
Please contact me if your interested in getting in touch with Brenda.
Here are my contact numbers.
info@edmontonvirtualtours.com
I can not express to you how happy this change in the adoption registry has made me. All these years of "unnattachment" so to speak, has been the burden of my life as I know it. Not that my story is any more signifigant or special than other adoptees searching, however it is special in it's own way. I am distraught and besided myself to tell you that history has repeated itself in the most ironic way. I'm ready to talk about it now.......
Thats all great for those who havent run into the problem i have. I was born in Calgary but adopted in B.C. Trying to get any info from either province has been a big run around. Alberta telling me they have no info because i was adopted in BC and BC saying they have no info (other then the adoption order) because of the birth being in Cagary. I do have a name at birth (that was on my adoption order) but i havent had any luck with that either. I hope all have good luck with the new laws. and if anyone can give me some ideas as to what i can do now please feel free to email me.
Ps im currently in Ontario (which makes things even harder)
secret_one_4_u@hotmail.com
Hi there-
YES i would be very interested !!!!
I was born in edmonton alberta at misercordia hospital on april 12 1965 to a 23 year old woman whose maiden name is Belik.
i have searched high and low and havent had any luck- but have already sent in the request for my adoption records ( thanks to the new law)
i know my b-mom was a student at university studying ot be a teacher, and i have ferretted out that the only teachers college ( 'normal school') in 1965 near Edmonton was U of Alberta.
apparently my father was an army man, a corporal for 8 years that my mother had known for 2 years. he was from england and my b-mom never told him she was expecting his child.
quite a mouthfull hu? anyway- i am, as are many other canadians , waiting for the records to arrive in my mailbox- lets hope it happens quickly, but as shannon said- im sure there is a huge backlog.
are you willing to help people locate thier birth families?
the assistance it would give to 'lost' children and thier families would be a great way to promote CBC, at the same time as putting together families and righting a wrong that the government made so many years ago.
blessings !
higgy
Advertisements
OH OF COURSE I MEAN WHO WOULDNT DO THIS, 27 YEARS WITH MAYBE HALF A FRACTION OF INFORMATION ON MY PAPERS I GOT SO LONG AGO I AM EAGERLY WAITING FOR THE INFORMATION THAT IS IF MY BIRTHMOTHER DIDNT SIGN THE VETO........
JUST MY 2 CENTS ANYWAY KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED
for any information in my birth family. I am currently in Manitoba, and have been since 1977, but I was born in Alberta and then adopted to a couple from Ontario.
Because my daughter was born with heart problems, and I developed cancer young, this has spurred my search.
Needless to say, when I recieved a letter from Alberta Child and Family services 4 wks ago, I quickly sent it back, in hopes that I will have more anwers.
if any of this is of interest, please contact me. I would love to go on record.
brunette_wonder2002@yahoo.com
My name is Tom and I am willing to share my experience from my start to my reunions. My home number is (780) 469-4255. Thank you.
My name is Robert Hughes I am in the process of filling out my Post Adoption Registry forms. Am looking for other family members. Have located birth parents, and some siblings but having trouble finding the rest.
Advertisements
My husband was adopted. His bmom is deceased, years before he started looking. I finally managed to find his bdad last winter...only to discover that he too was deceased, mere months prior.
We're still looking for missing sibs. We've located 6, one has a do not contact, and there's reason to believe that there are at least 2 more sibs out there. On the info we currently have, there is mention of sibs in care with their names blacked out. We'll definately be applying for the info.