Advertisements
Advertisements
What are the formerly known Texas Medical Kits, I've seen people ask for them on other web sites, I looked it up on a link but it just said it was $80 and didn't say what is contained.
Any help?
Thanks,
Tina
They seem to be pretty careful not to itemize this kit so that leads me to believe that most of us could probably use common sense to come up with 99% of the items in it. Since nothing would involve a prescription, I'm thinking it's a likely to be a nice, rounded, assortment of bandaids and ointment, and tweezers and Q-tips (and stuff like that). For $85, I'm pretty sure I can figure it out.
We also plan to see a Pediatrician before our China trip who is well versed in problems common to adoptees in China. Our agency has given us a list.
Advertisements
This is old info but gives you an idea:
Travel Medical Kit.The cost is 65.00 plus 15.00 shipping it includes the following full size items: Alcohol swabs,antibacterial hand wash,antibiotic wipes,antibiotic cream,antidiarrheal medicine,benadryl,bandaids,diaper rash cream,cold/cough medicine,dosage syringe,hydrocortisone cream,lice shampoo,nasal asp,pedialyte,pain reliver,thermometer,k-y jelly,glycerin supp.,visine,ice pack,tylenol pm,tweezers,oatmeal bath,latex gloves,orajel,plastic spoons. Softsided zipper case
I had also received medication for scabies and yeast infection and a book on what to look forward (with graphic photos!).
Thanks for the replies, that's kinda what I figured it was, but just wanted to see if there was a secret out this I was missing out on.
Tina
Actually, the one I found online also contained an antibiotic suspension which would be dosed according to weight - which is why the organization requested all available information about the child to be adopted....and it seems there was another prescription item.
Let me see if I can still track that one down.
Orphan Allies
CONTENTS OF PEDIATRIC TRAVEL KIT FOR INFANTS AND CHILDREN NOT POTTY TRAINED
1. Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen 1(for fever,teething,pain, etc.)
2. Cough/cold medicine 1(decongestant) also soothes child on trip home)
3. Antibiotic ointment 1 tube(for minor skin infections, cuts,etc.)
4. Lubricating Jelly Packets 2(for use with thermometer)
5. Thermometer 1
6. Dosage spoon/syringe 2(for giving medicine)
7. Measuring cup for medicines 2
8. Band-aids 1 box
9. Q-tips 1 box
10. Diaper rash cream 1 tube
11. Hydrocortisone Cream, 1% 1 tube(for itching, rashes)
12. Alcohol swabs 5(if injections are needed in China)
13. Syringes with needles 5(if injections are needed in China)
14. Oral Rehydration Salts 2 packets (rehydration for vomiting,diarrhea)
15. Tongue Depressors 2(for use at medical exam by Consulate physician)
16. Nail Care Kit 1 kit
17. Teething Gel 1 bottle
18. Packets of Pure Mayonnaise 5(for head lice)
Contents of Prescription Item Medical Kit
1.Eurax Cream 60 gm tube(for scabies)
2.Mytrex or Nystatin/Triamcinilone* 1 tube(for infected diaper rash)
3.Amoxicillin 250/5 150 ml bottle* 1(antibiotic)
4.Sodium Sulamyd ophthalmic drops* 1 bottle(for eye infections)
*These are prescription items available at no additional charge when ordered with the pediatric travel kit. The shelf life of the items in the kit is generally 6-12 months.
+Inserts In Pediatric Travel Kit
1. Common Rashes-color pictures(e.g. scabies, heat rash, ringworm, lice, etc)
2. Guide to Rashes(description, cause, recommended treatment)
3. Medicine Treatment Guide(medications in kit, useage, dosages)
4. Patient inserts:Amoxicillin, Eurax, Mytrex, Sodium Sulamyd
5. Instruction Sheet on Treatment of Diarrhea and Vomiting
6. Cereal Based Oral Rehydration Therapy(take a box of instant rice
cereal on the trip with you)
7. Instruction Sheet for Treatment of Diaper Rash
8. Caring for your baby's skin handout
9. Medical Issues in International Adoption Information Sheet
10.Growth Charts for Children(country or origin specific if available)
11.M.D. Alerts
12.Helping Your Baby Learn to Talk
13.Developmental Stages Information Sheets(age appropriate)
14.Preventing Choking and Basic First Aid Pamphlet
15.Culturegram-specific to country traveling to
16.ABC's of Speech Development
Subject: [url]http://www.orphanallies.org/[/url]
Advertisements
Dear 33458,
Do you think it's worth getting the kit or to buy the stuff myself?
Also, we had LID's a day or two apart, where are you from?
I'm from SW Missouri.
Tina
We are going to buy the items ourselves. Also, we will go to a pediatrician who specializes in Internation adoption when we get our referral. They will prescribe the items in the pack, so we can have them there with us as needed. They will spell out doses based on her weight, symptoms etc. We know a few people that did it this way, and loved the doc and the items were helpful. We will probably stick with that doc for her when we return home for a while too, since he does specialize in Int'l Adoption.
Hello there!
33458 is my zip code. ;) (I'm in south Florida.)
My reason for searching out the kit was as a safety in case I could not locate a pediatrician familiar with foreign adoptions and the possible conditions of orphans coming from one...there were NO pediatricians in my area willing to prescribe to an unseen patient, so my only recourse while in China was to try and work with their medical system.
(I've had enough trouble with my own, I didn't like the daunting prospect.)
I have, fortunately, found a pediatrician locally who has not only cared for foreign adoptees but *Chinese infants* - so she will be well-versed and more helpful than the others I inquired of.
If she for some reason does not want to prescribe an oral/topical antibiotic, then we will purchase the kit online.
It is only because I feel it better to be prepared than to be left without that I would shell out the money. I won't use it if it isn't called for.
I used to work as a pharmacy technician, so following medical directions is not anything new...but I have never before been a parent, so any of these little extras that come along with it offering sage advice might be worth it for me.
P.S.
Just thought I should add that the RX items in total will cost us around $30.00 through our insurance, so figure in the cost of the other items and suddenly the expense doesn't seem so over-the-top.
Advertisements