Advertisements
Advertisements
I am the mom of a 16-year-old boy who came into our family at 8 months. He is from Honduras. Spurred by DNA studies in biology, he has become very interested in locating his birth family. Unfortunately, we were told at the time that the birthmother name we have did not appear in the National Registry of Persons and was therefore considered to be an alias. We have the name that was given, the hospital name and nothing else.
We are willing to do whatever we can to help, but realistically we will probably never find his birthmother or family. Our son, in his immature thinking and using his DNA knowledge, suggested we test the entire country using hair samples!
My question is this....what is the best approach to helping our son come to terms with his lack of knowledge? It is difficult because he becomes very down when we talk about it and really does not want to hear it might not be possible. I am a school counselor in a high school, but my counseling skills are not nearly as good with my own child! Any suggestions would be most welcome.