Advertisements
Advertisements
I have read lately that Russia has tightened up it's medical requirements but there seems to be no straighforward information on what that means exactly -- what conditions mean "no you can't adopt" and what conditons are OK, etc. Does anyone have any idea how to find out if mild epilepsy in the mother (one seizure every few years) is liable to be a problem when adopting from Russia? TIA
I think this is really regional. Some judges are more open minded than others. Be upfront with your agency, so they can direct you to the right region.
Many adoptive parents have minor issues. Epilepy is rarely life threatening, so should really not be a problem.
Advertisements
Our judge seemed very interested in our extended family. She asked many questions about our parents, brothers, sisters, etc. She inquired as to how they felt about adoption ("It's giving them a grandchild," I told her. "They love it!!"). If there are any questions as to your health, just make sure that the judge knows that there are family/friends who are around all the time, and that the child will never be in danger.
Have you asked your agency about specific medical concerns? Your agency should be able to talk to its Russian facilitators to determine what typically does or does not concern judges in granting adoptions. I agree: It more than likely varies quite a bit by region.
Mike