Advertisements
Advertisements
Every time the seasons change, my need for new books seems to kick into gear. This Spring, I have four favorites: a mix of old and new, print and ebooks - on topics including teen adoption, Haiti adoption, why children are placed, and loss.
Favorite eBooks:
Adopting Jill, by Julie Fuller. This story of the adoption of a teen is an eye-opener into an age group we don't often hear about. Of all the age groups of children and young people in foster care, teens are the least frequently adopted, and face challenges all their own. Wonderfully honest and insightful. (Julie is also the author of one of our newest ebooks, Adopting Special Needs Children
From Haiti with Love, by Yvette Malcioln. Gear up your printer because this ebook is packed with wonderful photos. One of the few (if not the only) books about a single African-American adoptive parent, the book isn't really about race, it's about an adoption and a beautiful country, its traditions and people, creating a heritage resource for any Haitian-born adoptee and Haiti adoptive family to enjoy.
Favorite Print Books:
Sam's Sister, by Juliet Bond. I know this book was taken to heart by birthparents to help their children understand why a sibling was placed for adoption, but adoptive parents, take note! It's a great opportunity for your children to understand, if not their own stories, at least some of the reasons why children are placed.
An Ancient Tear, by Carol Schaefer. Known to millions as the author of "The Other Mother," Schaefer's new book is a gem of equal value, offering a message of spiritual healing to those who have lost children - by death, adoption, miscarriage, or abortion.
A quick note about ebooks: I remember when they were first introduced, and I thought I'd never buy one. For all those out there who thought the same and haven't bought one to read, I encourage you to take the leap!
Last update on April 27, 2:29 pm by Miriam Gwilliam.
A New Arrival on Adoptionshop.com listing, a great reading with Father's Day on the horizon.
Letters and Reflections to My Adopted Daughters (Under Inspirational titles in New Arrivals on adoptionshop.com)
(A Tribute to John Newton, 1700's English pastor, adoptive father and hymn writer of the world famous hymn, "Amazing Grace")
A Book review by Sylvia Cochran of [url]www.suite101.com[/url]
LETTERS AND REFLECTIONS TO MY ADOPTED DAUGHTERS
Compiled by Jody Moreen, penned by John Newton, 1700's English pastor and hymn writer of "Amazing Grace"
Pleasant Word (a division of Winepress Publishing)
141410264X
December 31, 2004
Christian Living/Parenting
The name John Newton may ring a bell for some...actually, anyone whose eyes ever strayed to the bottom of the page of the church hymnal while singing the unforgettable moving hymn Amazing Grace,Ӕ should recognize it. Mr. Newton (1725-1807) penned it in 1779. Lest anyone thinks of him as a milquetoastӓ kind of minister who hasnt seen a hard day in his life, please remember that this John Newton
*lost his mother at a young age and was raised by his non-Christian father,
*went to sea when he was only eleven years of age, after only a couple of years of formal education
deserted from the British Navy and was captured and flogged
*lived as a slave for 15 months in Africa
*engaged in the slave trade
*suffered epileptic seizures
*struggled to educate himself while at sea
These facts are readily available on the Internet. Yet, another fact that seems to be left out of most biographies, and in others only receives a passing mention, is Mr. Newtonђs decision to adopt his nieces (by marriage) Elizabeth Catlett and Eliza Cunningham (who died at the age of 14) who became orphaned in 1774. Elizabeth took care of him after he lost his wife to cancer in 1790.
One might think the story ends there. Not so! His devotion to Elizabeth never wavered; not when she suffered from melancholyӔ(what today we would probably refer to as severe depression); not when she had to be hospitalized for this ailment in 1802. It is recorded history that Mr. Newton, who now suffered from blindness, visited her every day and stood under her hospital window, repeatedly asking the person who served as his guide whether she had seen him and perhaps waved to him.
Ms. Moreen, herself adopted, compiled some of the letters John Newton wrote to his adopted daughters. The letters offer the readers a glimpse into the heart of a man who not only loved God with his entire being, but -- more importantly -- who sought to pass on this love in word and deed to his daughters. The letters offer encouragement, spiritual guidance, yet also fatherly counsel, dealing gently but firmly with such things as irritable attitudes.Ӕ
These letters serve as a shining example how a one-time uneducated slave trader was transformed by Gods grace into a disciple of Christ, walking the walk, and taking on the challenge of parenting adopted children, even though his own upbringing was less than ideal. The letters further show the heart and mind of a man who is determined to involve God in every aspect of his life and does not shrink back from new challenges, not even from parenting.
So, if you are one who is wrestling with the idea of adoption, please pick up this book and be inspired! If you are a parent who is somewhat flustered with the day to day challenges that parenting children may bring, please pick up this book and learn from someone who put his faith in God into practice and allowed it to permeate every aspect of his parenting.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Great reading with Father's Day, Graduations approaching and honoring Father's and here is a great role model for all parents.
His hymn has touched many lives all over the world!
The 21 letters are written to his adolescent daughter Elizabeth and written in Old English- great for youth through adult reading, and great for daughters and adopted daughters
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sylvia Cochran was born and raised in Germany, and since 1988 living in the United States, this writer offers a global perspective to such controversial topics as Christianity, ethics, marriage, civil rights, and religious parenting. Not afraid to tackle controversial issues and topics, this writer incites her readers to think independently and outside the box of partisan politics, denominational backgrounds, social prejudices, and other intellectual blockages.
Her online presence extends to such websites/online magazines as Bella Online, Inspiriting, Christianity 4 Life, Families Online Magazine, and Suite101. In addition to the foregoing, she teaches online classes ranging from Bible 101 to Christian Parenting 101, Money Skills for Kids, and Grief - Getting Beyond the Pain.
Some have asked me where to get this book penned by John Newton, Letters and Reflections to My Adopted Daughters- they said it is now out of stock on adoptionshop.com. I do not know if they will order it for you, otherwise amazon,half and barneandnoble have it. John Newton, adoptive father, famous hymn writer of "Amazing Grace" died 200 years ago in 2007- in England they are working on a project called the John Newton Project that will encompass all his writings. His book on 21 letters to his adopted daughters focus on his loving and godly parenting.
Jody ;)