Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone,
I'm drafting an article (possibly a series of articles) trying to bring a sense of who birthparents really are to padoptive parents.
Essentially, I want to try to use some real life examples to illustrate my article and help paparents truly move away from the "Lifetime Channel" ;) mentality and realize that we're people just like them.
If you're interested in sharing something about yourself as a bparent, the format I'm looking for is a short paragraph (or even a sentence) that you feel describes you as a person, followed by the statement "...I am a birthparent." It can relate to your experiences with adoption, or not. If you prefer a different term, please use it. You can tell me if you'd like to remain anonymous or have your first name ONLY used (to protect everyone's privacy, I will not use last names).
Thank you so much for any contributions.
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to bash aparents here, either. What I want to do is address and hopefully start diffusing some of the pervasive misconceptions about birthfamiles that (sadly) many people still have. As part of our Adoptive Parenting classes thru our agency, paparents participate in a panel discussion that includes all sides of the triad and the classes themselves address a lot of these types of myths. However, I know not all classes are so intense or extensive on the subject, so I'm hoping to write articles as a resource for paparents (and maybe to aparents who are unsure about continuing contact).
I guess I'll start! Just saw this in your sig line :) good idea.
Who am I? I am a wonderful mom to a seven year old little girl. We love to bake cookies and put icing and frosting on them. I am a returning adult student to college. I am earning an associates degree as a Physical Therapist Assistant. My family loves to go hiking and camping. I have an amazing man who puts up with me when I'm moody. That awesome guy and I have a child who was placed for adoption almost a year ago, that made us birthparents.
Will that work?
Advertisements
LOL I had to think about this for a few days...I'm still not sure I like it!
While I understand what I'm saying in regards to genetics, I'm not sure others will...feedback maybe?
Who am I?
I am normal, well adjusted and educated. Im the woman in the grocery store or your next-door neighbor. I believe in family and friends and I believe that sometimes friends make better family than family make friends. I believe it takes more than love to raise a child and more than genetics to create a family. I believe at some point in our lives, we are all faced with make some sort of life altering difficult decision; mine was to place my daughter for adoption, I am a birthmother.
So you are gathering definitions of birth parents with us as the definition? ;)
Let me think on it.
Maia
Thanks Brandy...I Do like it! :D
Ahhh Maia, LOL. As usual, you have me chuckling at myself :D . I hadn't really thought of it as defining us as birthparents...just trying to show us as real, regular people, not scary creatures that lurk outside our bchildren's bedroom windows... ;)
Now all I can picture is me writing the "Dictionary of Birthparents"! :eek: :p :D
Advertisements
Oh hehe, I only said that cuz I had a flash vision of that commercial where the kids are dressed in professional attire and say stuff like: I am a small-minded, money grubbing boss.
I am a tyrannical corporate executive...
and I had to chuckle!
Maia
Oh! Oh! I remember that one...and there was another one, too, where this little boy said,
"When I grow up, I want to claw my way to middle management" :D I laughed every time those came on!
I am a Woman. I like country music, sipping tea on our front porch and watching rain storms roll into the valley. I like driving my Jeep, with the sound turned up and the moonroof open on a warm, summer night. I like building snowmen, throwing snowballs and kissing my Husband in the snow. I enjoy baking cookies, burn meatloaf and am still getting a handle of the kitchen in general. I am a daughter who once had a smart mouth and now realize the importance and impact that my parents tight reign had and continues to have on my life. I am a sister who is not always nice but would move the world to protect my little brother. I am a writer, if only for my own sanity. I am a member of our church, even if I miss the occasional Sunday morning service. I wear pink fuzzy slippers everyday. I read books on every subject under the sun; I thirst for knowledge. I am afraid of heights, failure, judgement of others and rejection. I love my Husband, even when he is annoyingly manly, and am fully aware of how blessed I truly am to have been given his hand by God. I am a successful career woman in the broadcasting field; I love my job. I am short. I am feisty. I have dreams and aspirations for myself and my family. I am soon going to learn the crazy road called parenthood. I am also a Birthmother.
--
Can be expanded/edited if necessary. Just let me know.
Advertisements
Jenna & Brad,
Thanks so much for your responses. These are wonderful and just what I need! :)