Advertisements
Advertisements
[font=Arial][font=Arial]Hello everyone![/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial]We're leaving May 10th for our first trip to Kemerovo!!! We have accepted a referrals for 4 years old girl and 7 years old boy (not related).[/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial]We are in the process of trying to formulate a list of questions to ask the orphanage/caregivers. Since we are flying blind, these questions seem to be very important, and we were wondering if anyone has already come up and/or used such a list. If you did, how did the caregivers respond to the questions and would you mind sharing your list with us? [/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial]Thank you for your help![/font][/font]
We looked at the lists provided in John McLean's adoption handbook. It's not possible (in my opinion) to ask them all, but it's good that such a long list exists so you can pick out the important ones.
Mike
Advertisements
It is helpful to tape the meeting with the orphanage supervisor/doctor. I did and it proved to be invaluable. I asked many questions and really had a hard time keeping up with the answers. When I got home from trip 1, I replayed the tape and jumped online to investigate the answers.
You'll want to know what and when they eat, how they interact with the other children, what they like, what they dislike, what type of baths they are used to taking, do they still take naps, what are the circumstance under which they were placed in the orphanage, what is their disposition, have their parents or any other family ever been to visit them, do they have any other siblings...
Those are just a few of the things I would ask. Since your children are older, you may be able to ask some of the questions directly to them through your interpreter.
Hope this helps.
Here are the Q's I asked for each of the boys and some responses (if I got any at all).
What makes (childs name) happy? (rattle, color, noise,)
What makes (childҒs name) unhappy/cry? (noise)
Does (childs name) like to be held?
Will he fall asleep in your arms?
When (childҒs name) is fussy, what does he do? Why is he fussy?
What does (childs name) like to eat?
What times of the day is he fed?
Are these bottle feedings?
Does he eat any jar food?
Does (childҒs name) have a favorite snack (cookies, juice, fruit)?
What kind of bottle/nipple does he prefer?
(We fed them from fom heavy glass "coke" bottles w/large nipples w/large holes in the top. The folks we traveled w/that live on a farm said "geez, this bottles and nippes are similar to what we use to feed our animals on the farm.")
When are nap times?
How many naps a day?
How long does he sleep during naps?
When do you put him down for the night?
Does he sleep through the night?
What position (back, tummy) does he prefer?
What position do you place him in?
What is his favorite toy?
Is there sleep area quiet or noisey? Light or dark?
As twins do they share a crib?
Do they get to spend time together and see each other throughout the day? (response: they see each other)
Who is older? By how many minutes? (response: ?)
What was the nature of their placement in the orphanage?
Any known abuse? If yes, what type of abuse?
How do the children feel about being adopted? What are their fears?
What are the children being told about the adoption?
Try to get any background possible on birth family.
Good luck!
Advertisements
This is a good thread. My husband and I are traveling to Russia on May 14th and meeting our son on May 18th. He is, right now, 8 months old. Any questions that pertain to babies that have not already been posted would be greatly appreciated.
We just went to Krasnoyarsk to see our 4-year-old boys for the first time. We gleaned this list of questions from an adoption book and the advice of forum members. It served us well:
Questions for Caregivers
What is his daily/nightly schedule?
What is his usual diet? Favorite foods?
Does he like to be bathed?
Who are his friends?
Does he have a favorite caregiver?
Does he like to be hugged, held and kissed?
How does he interact with other children?
Favorite toys?
Favorite activities?
What makes him happy?
What makes him upset?
What makes him angry?
Special fears?
How do you soothe him?
Behavioral problems?
Does he wake up in the night?
Any prior accidents, injuries, illnesses?
How do you discipline children here?
Is he potty trained? Still having daytime accidents?
Does he wet the bed? How often? Has any intervention taken place?
Any signs of abuse (before the orphanage)?
Is there anything we should tell him as he grows up?
Do you have any questions for us?
Be prepared for them to ask you all kinds of questions, if you open it up to them. One director told us that one of the boys had not been baptized, and asked us what we planned to do about it. I simply explained our church's traditions for baptism and confirmation, and she seemed satisfied.
Adopting older children, they will ask how you plan to communicate with them. I hope you are taking some Russian lessons in preparation for this -- they want to hear that you are trying to learn the language. I've found a Ukrainian woman in our area, and tutor privately with her once a week, learning kid-specific words and phrases. It's a tough language, but worth the effort.