Advertisements
Advertisements
I read this interesting article in a Canadian National parenting magazine this morning.
2 lines:
what possible justification is there?Ӕ
and
"If there were a similar study showing that the occasional well-timed punch to the upper arm of an annoying neighbour caused no lasting harm, I would not say, Oh well then, letӒs make it legal for adults to hit each other for the purpose of correction. "
really got me thinking. IԒm interested to discuss other parents outlook on the subject.
The Real Spanking Debate
Do you have to hit kids to raise them properly? Because if you donӒt, what possible justification is there?
By John Hoffman
As I watched the intense and impassioned debate about same-sex marriage unfold over the past several months, I couldnԒt help but draw parallels between that discussion and the one we need to have about spanking. Both issues touch on deeply held religious and cultural beliefs. Both challenge the societal mindset to make a substantial shift. Both issues were the subject of recent legislation. Bet you didnt know there was a bill on the table to outlaw corporal punishment; thatҒs probably because it was introduced in the Senate by senator Cline Hervieux-Payette. (At press time, the Senate bill appeared to have a better chance of surviving springs electoral storm watch, with senators considering a measure that would see debate resume after an election.)
I hope that bill makes it to the lower house. There it might generate the kind of public discussion we really need on spanking and corporal punishment.
I钒m talking about a debate like the one weve just seen on gay rights and the definition of marriage. Sure, itҒs been divisive and angry at times. But many people have become involved and theyve dissected every nuance.
By contrast, the arguments tend to be narrow when the subject is Section 43 of the Criminal Code. ThatҒs the part that sanctions spanking by providing a defence to assault for the purpose of correcting a child. Media coverage generally features a lot of back-and-forth gainsaying between pundits on either side about whether such legislation would criminalize parents (Would!Ӕ WouldnӒt!) and whether spanking harms children (ԓDoes! ԓDoesnt!Ҕ).
Yes, we should argue those points although, for me, the דdoes spanking harm children? debate is irrelevant. You could show me an impeccable study that proves beyond a shadow of doubt that a good and proper mild spanking (largely mythical, anyway) doesnԒt harm kids, and Id still say, so what? If there were a similar study showing that the occasional well-timed punch to the upper arm of an annoying neighbour caused no lasting harm, I would not say, ғOh well then, lets make it legal for adults to hit each other for the purpose of correction.Ҕ
We need an in-depth examination of the fears that without the protection of Section 43 ח good parents may be hauled into court or have their kids taken away because they forcibly removed their child from the dinner table. I dont believe that for a minute, but then, my opinion isnҒt much to go on, is it? We need to get into the corners of this issue. What powers and standards of practice should police and child protection workers have? How can we ensure parents will be free from unwarranted harassment by the occasional witless rule follower?
I also hope we can finally get down to the real issue. Do you have to hit kids or at least have that option ח to raise them properly? Because if you dont, what possible justification is there?
A big pro-spanking argument has always been: ғOf course, we dont want parents to beat on their kids, but what if a child [take your pick] runs into the street, tells a bald-faced lie, displays in-your-face defiance?Ҕ
It seems to me the vast number of unspanked good kids and young adults walking around provides lots of de facto evidence that you dont need to whack Ғem to raise em right. A recent Statistics Canada study provided some empirical support: It showed a correlation between punitive parenting, including spanking and yelling, and aggressive child behaviour.
This study holds two important lessons, although it does not prove that spanking harms children, as some observers have claimed. One lesson is that many kids can learn to behave when their parents do not rely on punishment (including spanking) as a main discipline tool. The other is that even when childrenҒs behaviour is difficult, harsher punishment is not the magic fix; when parents became more punitive, kids tended to be more aggressive. So, if spanking isnt necessary, and it doesnҒt help kids behave, what do we need it for? When the Section 43 debate starts in earnest, lets talk about that.
For me the debate is simple -
If you lay a hand on an adult in this manner, you will be arrested for assault. If you use an implement, they call it a weapon and the prison time is longer.
In other words,for me, there is no debate. As a society we have agreed that hitting is not ok. In most states, you can't legally engage in consensual sexual sadomasochistic behavior between adults. Only Illinois recognizes consent as a defense for "assault" when two adults consent to engage in a sadomasochistic relationship with each other.
Yet we allow parents to hit their children.
And with all due respect, q's mom, would you consent to my hitting you every time you drive over the speed limit? Or every time you forget a turn signal? How about if your brake light is out? Those are all "dangerous" actions which might lead to the death of you or another. If I see you engage in this dangerous behavior, am I permitted to discipline you physically?
I just don't buy it, I'm sorry.
We don't allow adults to strike one another even though their strength is mostly evenly matched to our own. But we'll hit a defenseless child and call it discipline? We're what, ten times stronger than they are? And this is supposed to be ok?
No way, no how.
I have a former friend who used to spank her child. She was enraged one day when the child she'd spanked for 6 years turned around and spanked her back. What did she expect? She'd taught him that it is ok to spank to get your point across.
I spanked my oldest son once when he went for the stove. I broke his heart and mine that day. Never again. He doesn't even remember it, he was too young. But I've never forgotten and I doubt I ever will. The look of sadness and disappointment in ME on HIS young face still haunts me.
Advertisements
I was spanked as a child - probably until I reached elementary school, but I can't remember. I know I was spanked, but I honestly don't remember it very well. That being said, it obviously wasn't a traumatizing experience for me. However, "swat" is probably a more fitting description of what my parent's did when I was in trouble - it never hurt (I do remember that much) and I really don't think it deterred me from misbehaving, haha. I was a crazy kid. ;)
I don't think I'll spank my children. I just don't see a point. I feel like the reason someone would spank is to instill fear into a child, and even when I'm disciplining my child I don't want to scare or intimidate them, you know? I'm a huge fan of "Super Nanny," and I think her ideas are so much more useful and appropriate than any kind of corporal punishment - using a "Naughty Spot" technique, the time outs, warnings, etc.
Anyway, my point was that spanking didn't really leave a lasting negative impression of any kind. I wouldn't do it to my kids, but I guess when I was growing up people had different attitudes.
I knew I would be crucified. That's fine.
But, apparently the section stating that my son doesn't understand/can't comprehend 'being splattered across the pavement'. Telling him means nothing. I could talk until I'm blue in the face, same result - nothing.
I UNDERSTAND danger - speeding, running a redlight. I UNDERSTAND the consequences. Paying a huge fine, increased insurance and possibly injurying someone are the consequences, I understand, I don't do those things, because I DO understand. HE DOES NOT.
My child cannot comprehend understand anything unless he experiences it. A swat/crack on the butt, he understands. He doesn't want it to happen again. He doesn't do the things that will get him a spank. Yes, A SPANK. Not several spanks, not a beating. I actually cannot recall the last time I spanked him.
Don't touch the stove - it's hot. He didn't get it. Burned his fingers.
Don't eat dog food - it will make you sick. He didn't get it - ate it. Threw up.
Don't lick the dog - she may bite you. He didn't get it - licked the dog - got lucky on that one.
Use walking feet in the house - you'll get hurt - 5 stitches.
I'd rather give him a swat and make him afraid to walk into the parking lot, than have him run out and be killed. Or hope we 'get lucky' like we did licking the dog.
If he hates me because I spanked him a couple of times when he was 3 or 4, well, that's life. He'll be thankful he's alive, because I know that he wouldn't have made it this far, if I hadn't spanked him for running into a parking lot.
Now he knows. He doesn't get spanked.
I've never beat my son. I've never spanked him more that 1 swat. I've never spanked him out of anger. I can tell you, I have never injured my son.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Q,
I know I am late reading this but I agree with you! I swatted my bio children on the bottom or on the back of the hand when they were smaller and no it was not for every little thing it was after doing other form like possitive reinforcements or time outs.I will not let my child get burnt because they touch fire or something hot.I will not give into a tantrum in the store and remove them dissrupt whta I need to do( I also will not go during what should be nap time or bed time so I do not set us up for a fit).
When my children were smaller 2-3 yo I could take them to any home and not worry about them touching things that were not child safe because they knew it was not thiers to touch.And it came from a small tap on the back of the hand,I did not put up breakables they learned not to touch.
People confuse spanking with beating and that is where the problem . Now when my sons mental status changed due to his illness we did not spank any more nor did we do time outs or any other form of dissipline as it would not work he could no longer understand right from wrong,there are excptions to almost anything.
I do no think we should judge another parent for their way of teaching thier child as long as it dosent go into abuse or neglect(yes by not punishing your child you harm them as well and I do not mean by not spanking I mean the child who nevers hears no or has no limits)
but all this just my thought
I love the article--thanks for posting it.
I would like to address the issue of spanking as a way of changing behavior in a child that is too young to comprehend consequences. If you were in charge of an adult that had the mental capacity of a child ( hrough illness, retardation or for whatever reason) and this person could not comprehend that cars are dangerous or a stove is hot---you could not hit him to "teach" him to be afraid. That is illegal--which is a good thing. You would have to find other ways of keeping that adult person safe. The fact is that there are other ways of teaching our children and keeping them safe. There are many adults walking around safe and well behaved productive members of our society today that were not spanked--so it is not required. It can be done. Spanking is one method but not the only method and IMHO one that has become outdated and perhaps harmful.
I could never hit my children. I discipline them when necesssary, I am not one to mistake friendship for parenting--but spanking sends all the wrong messages--IMHO.
One more thought---I have never heard ANYONE say they "beat their children". Even the most abusive parent will claim that it was a spanking that was needed. No one ever thinks they have crossed the line and are being abusive. I am NOT saying that anyone here has crossed that line---I am just noting that no one ever thinks they have.
Advertisements
[font=Arial]I'm sorry to see that this whole discipline forum seems pretty dead. I postponed coming here for several days, knowing it would be painful, but also knowing it might help me work through some old stuff. I find that with forums in general, when I post to other people in hopes of helping, comforting, etc. that I'm the one who really benefits.[/font]
[font=Arial]With regard to this spanking debate thread --[/font]
[font=Arial]please don't spank. [/font]
[font=Arial]I could type until my fingers were numb about why I say that. Much easier to simply say, I'm an adoptee who was spanked until around age 12, maybe a bit older. I'm now 49 and still have a strong emotional response to hearing or seeing the word, beginning with a kneejerk feeling of shame and spiraling from there unless I stop it.[/font]
[font=Arial]Warmly, heartbeat[/font]
heartbeat
[font=Arial]I could type until my fingers were numb about why I say that. Much easier to simply say, I'm an adoptee who was spanked until around age 12, maybe a bit older. I'm now 49 and still have a strong emotional response to hearing or seeing the word, beginning with a kneejerk feeling of shame and spiraling from there unless I stop it.[/font]
So sorry to see that you are triggered by the subject...I'm sure that can be difficult, especially with such a hot topic. Take care of yourself.
I will honestly say I am on both sides of the fence with this one.
Myself, I will never spank MY children, but that is because I know for certain that one open handed swat on a clothes covered butt would not compare to the abuse they've more than likely already gone through.
They'd probably just laugh it off, or it would make them regress...so NO spanking here.
I was spanked as a child. HOWEVER, it was only one time, and it was because I ran out into the street and almost got squashed by a car, after my mother telling me about 5 times to not go NEAR the street.
That one time WAS effective for me. It did not physically hurt me...I honestly think the spank hurt my mother worse.
BUT, what it DID do was startle me into realizing that she MEANT what she said...DON'T RUN INTO THE STREET!
I was more fortunate to have received that consequence than what I missed (being hit by a car).
I know a lot of you like to say "would you like me to spank you for turning without a signal" etc...however, the point you're missing is that YOU are not in an authorative role in my life.
Sure, if YOU hit me, it would be assault. You are a total stranger, decking me. Yeah, you're gonna get sued.
I understand what you're saying, I'm just saying the example is kind of a moot point.
Again, I will not spank my children...but there are sometimes where a parent needs to, and as long as it is not taken to the extreme, if the parent felt it needed to be done, and the desired result came of it, then what wrong is there?
Your grandparents were spanked...and some of you, depending upon age, had parents who were spanked. It was the norm "back then".
Did they turn out abusive or resentful? No (I'm sure there are some that have, but I hope you understand my point).
Great thought provoking post!
I agree with PP.I was spanked and di not turn out to hate my parents.I was a good kid because I knew if I got into REALLY big trouble what would happen I would get a swat or 2 on my bottom end!I did not want that I however would not mind being sent to my room.
I have spanked my bio's and do not spank my FC.
Advertisements
I have spanked my son, as stated previously. Very few times and far between.
My son continues to not understand consequences nor does he have fear.
Here's an example, this just happened a few days ago.
I needed to buy a new car quickly, as mine died in the middle of the NYS Thruway. My best friend drives my son and I to a dealership. She stays in the car with him while I talk with a salesman. Said salesman thinks my son is just the funniest thing on God's earth, by the way.
I'm standing looking at a van with the salesman, he looks at me and says, DON'T LOOK! DON'T TURN AROUND! As, I turn, I hear my son yelliing "Hi Aunt Peggy!" He climbed out of the back door window, onto the roof of the car, and was hanging his head over the windshield waving at her!
The door had the child locks on, and the windoow only comes down halfway. Yet he very quietly, stealthly climbed out onto the roof. And he couldn't imagine why everyone was in an uproar.
I basically grew up with my mom spanking me whenever I did something wrong. What's good about her was she made me understand why she did that. Or maybe it was also good that I also tried to view it as more of a disciplining system than as a form of abuse.
But personally, if ever I'm going to have my own children something, I wouldn't do it, simply because I have such high reverence for diplomacy. I don't have to hurt my kids just so I can get my message across, that is, I'm not really happy with what they're doing. Imparting wisdom and learning, I think, is not really at the end of the belt.
I basically grew up with my mom spanking me whenever I did something wrong. What's good about her was she made me understand why she did that. Or maybe it was also good that I also tried to view it as more of a disciplining system than as a form of abuse.
But personally, if ever I'm going to have my own children someday, I wouldn't do it, simply because I have such high reverence for diplomacy. I don't have to hurt my kids just so I can get my message across, that is, I'm not really happy with what they're doing. Imparting wisdom and learning, I think, is not really at the end of the belt.
How we justified it as kids... doesnt meant there really is justification for it. There just simply isnt.
very true....
I was hit as a a child. When I would say I was going to call the child abuse hotline they would say "go ahead, we didn't leave any marks on you, they'll probably tell you to listen to your parents..." I was a real wise you know what to my parents...that would really get them going....i had what they called "a mouth".
when i hear the word spank, i think of one slap on the butt....i was not spanked i guess, i was hit everywhere but the head....they would pull my hair though or hold me by the throat...
all this happened to me yet they still claim they never "beat" me. As a previous poster has said no one actually thinks they are going over the line with their punishment. and as #1bucksfan said, children justify it in their own minds...i always thought everyone would get the you know what kicked out of them....as an adult i now know that wasn't true.
so to answer the question...i will NOT hit my children (when I have them). psychology would suggest that since I was hit it will be my first line of punishment when i have kids...i will do everything in my power not to cave into old cycles.
what did being hit teach me?....nothing...it taught me to hit my little sister just to see her cry. even when she was 8 months old i would slap her just so she'd cry and i would deny it.....
Advertisements
What I see on this forum are two distinct types of 'spanking'. There are those who have given their child one or two smacks, spur of the moment, clothes on, in hopes to really draw the child's attention to a dangerous situation, like running into the street. The child wasn't humiliated and life didn't take a time out while all attention was focused on the spanking. It was over and done with quickly and there might have even been a hug offered later by the spanker. I don't know if I would do that or not and never will know, but I can understand it and not look upon it as vile.
The kind of spanking I referred to in my earlier post was a regular, one or more times a week discipline as pretty much the first line of punishment.
There was a definite procedure to it, it was by far more than 1 or 2 smacks, it was horribly painful, and it was usually done with either a belt or a certain wooden clothes brush - wood side towards bottom. mygod it hurt. I never counted, but I'd say I got at least 20 hits, each one more painful than the last as the flesh became tenderized and bruised. Humiliation was a huge part of it, whether intended or not. Rather than simply being pulled over a lap and spanked, I had to pull my own pants down, sometimes underwear, too, and lay myself across the lap. If I put my hand back there at some point in a feeble attempt to protect myself, the spanking stopped and I was told to remove my hand. If I didn't immediately, I was told the spanking would continue on my hand, and again told to remove it. That was the lap position. Another popular position was the spanker sitting, me standing in front of them, and I was told to bend over and grab my ankles. Extremely helpless and humiliating feeling. If I was really in trouble, I was on the floor on my stomach with the spanker sitting on my back facing my feet, applying the spanking in that position. Every time I was spanked there would come a point where I just knew I couldn't bear the pain one more second - that I would literally die.
I really struggle with it. Part of me agrees with the 20 or so professionals I've asked, who say it was abuse, period. Part of me accepts it as 'spanking' and says that's just what was done then. My older brother also got them, but not nearly as often, my sister only got one.
Later in life, as adults, it was joked about in my family - "**** got a spanking every Saturday whether she needed it or not." I think it was finally in my early 40's that I asked them to stop joking about it, that it wasn't funny. They accepted that and it wasn't joked about any more.
Aside from spankings, I had a painful childhood. One time when I'd 'been bad', I was sent to bed early. I was probably 8 or 9. The rest of the family went out to get ice cream for desert. It was dusk, and I was and had always been terrified of the dark. This was well-known in the family. I wouldn't say I'm still terrified, but I can easily get to a panic point if the electricity goes out and I can't find a flashlight quickly. So they left, I watched the car leave, and when the taillights disappeared I turned on my nightstand light. I stayed in bed, just didn't want to be in the dark. My father drove around the block, saw the light, came back into the house, gave me a spanking, turned the light back out, told me to leave it off, and they left again. In remembering that, part of me screams that of course that was abuse! if nothing else it was just cruel! Another part just kind of accepts it as my due - that I was a bad person and deserved whatever I got.
Whenever I'm unsure whether something was abuse or even just morally wrong, I picture a little girl around 5 or 6 with blond curls and big dark blue eyes. I picture myself as an adult, looking at her. Then I ask myself if I could do whatever it is I'm wondering about to that little girl. Every time so far the answer has been a vehement NO!, usually with tears. I can't feel the pain or get angry for me, but I can for her. For now, that's ok - at least I'm feeling.
I really struggle with how someone can say they love you and yet treat you like that.
heartbeat
To me there is a very real difference between an open handed swat to a clothed bottom (more to startle than hurt) and a beating or even just regular spankings.
My daughter has felt the flat of my hand twice and only recently. My criteria for spanking,Ӕ which for me is a single open hand swat to the bottom, is that she must already know and understand the rule, be capable of obeying it, and there must be danger involved. The two danger area that have deserved a swat so far are crawling into the dogs crate (a grab and swat is better than losing her face to a temperamental 130 pound canine) since she has been reliable in that matter since she was about 3 and trying to put her hand on a waffle iron.
A swat is not a beating. IҒve had beatings (from my mother). Ive had spankings also from my father who had the ғspare the rod and spoil the child philosophy and IԒve had single open handed swats from a firm grandparent. They are all definitely different. My daughter will never know the first two and I pity the poor fool who dares try something like that with my daughter. But the last is in my opinion, sometimes necessary to make a lasting impression when there isnt time for discussion. Discussion should follow and also a consequence (i.e. no story before bed or time out) but there are times where an immediate result and not a discussion or a debate is necessary.