Advertisements
Advertisements
Finally, our homestudy is approved. It took the full time that our agency commits to (90 days after paperwork completion), plus an extra week (SW overworked :rolleyes: ). DH and I went on vacation towards the end so that helped keep me sane. I think it was all designed to teach me patience or something!
Trying to get alot of exposure so match might not take too long. We're putting the DBM letter together and have registered with a referral/networking service. We'll also sign on with an agency in Atlanta. I guess we'll be actually "waiting" for a match in a week or two.
Now all I'll have to do is maintain some type of composure while I wait and hope that this doesn't test my patience as well. We've been waiting 15 years for a little one and this is the closest we've been. I guess another 3-6 months or so can't hurt :) .
Don't get your heart set on "sooner". Plan on a referral "later" and then you can be pleasently surprised versus disappointed. I constantly need to remind myself that I am not in a "race" towards motherhood, but rather a journy. Good Luck, and remember- while we can stare at the hourglass we cannot control the sands of time- everything happens for a reason :o .
Advertisements
Congrats.. also remember that in MD you cannot use a network/facilitator service if you are going to finalize here.. :o)
What agency did you decide to go with?? Let us know when you have some leads..
mandy
Thanks Mandy!
I'm attending a seminar on finalization next week so I'll definitely be sure to bring that up, although the network service is a licensed agency in Michigan.
I'm using AAAPIA in Atlanta and Heaven Sent in Michigan.
I have never heard of that kind of seminar here in MD.. where is that at??
Heaven sent is GREAT.. and you can use her as an "agency" and I think sometimes her posts are from other agencies, so you can get around things by having that agency pay her fee's (if you are using her network service).
Also, let me know if you need a good adoption lawyer in Anne Arundle county.. mine was AWSOME!!!
Do you have a website as well?? we got lots of hits on ours..
Good luck and I will be excited to hear your progress.. Please let me know if you need any help with sorting it all out (we are now on our 2nd adoption).
mandy
Mandy,
I guess it's not so much as seminar as it is a 3 hr "class". It's at Adoptions Together in Silver Spring. We used them for the homestudy.
I'd be interested to hear about your attorney, although we live in PG. If he doesn't practice here, maybe he can refer.
We're not using a website yet. I want to see how things go with these two agencies first. We're an AA couple looking for an AA newborn or twins. If it starts to take too long, then I'll probably get the site.
After a bunch of headaches and long waits, I believe AT finally sent our final HS to Michigan and Atlanta today - at least that's what they told me. I'm finishing my profile this weekend, so actually I guess we won't be officially waiting until next Wednesday or so.
Do you currently have a site? Is it on Parent Profiles or some other provider? Also, did you use Heaven Sent for your first placement?
Advertisements
Hey there.. congrats on starting your search.. I have heard good things about AT.. We do have a site but since we are no longer looking we have started taking it down, if you ever want to see it just let me know.
I worked with Shelia a few times on possible placement (Heaven Sent) but notning came thru.. we ended up matching thru our website (posted in Feb / matched in April/ baby born July). Prior to that we tried to adopt out of foster care and also tried international and thru agencies.. wneh we decided to "network" was what in the end worked for us..
Then, in May of this year we decided to start our search again knoing it could take many years and quite by luck ended up being placed with a little baby boy (12 months in May) that would come to us thru foster/adopt.. so.. we are fostering him now, but are moving toward TPR on bio parents and will hopefully be adopting him by next may.
Let me know how the class goes..
mandy
Well Mandy,
As luck would have it I'm jumping right in!
I called the Atlanta agency to let them know that I was sending my application and profiles today and that the HS had been mailed. Wasn't I surprised when she asked me to fax/overnight my application and profiles because she wants to show them to a PBM tomorrow!!
I did it, but can't say that I really am feeling like this could be the one. It just kind of surprised me that we really got started that quick. I'll let you know if anything comes up.
I went ahead and sent the profiles to Sheila as well. Actually, she has a situation posted that I'd be interested in, but fear I may be too late.
Jeanne
How exciting.. let me know whow it goes.. you just never know when it might be the right situation.. could be the first one you are presneted with.. :o)
Mandy