Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey. I am completely new to this forum, but semi-active on the fostercare boards.
My question: Does Russia have children of Roma heritage? We have a daughter adopted from Bulgaria who is Roma. Would love to adopt from there again, but things are incredibly slow right now. So, I am just looking at my options.
Thanks! :)
There are many children from Russia who are Roma. My son is Roma and from Russia. I know several other families who also have Roma children.
Advertisements
[font=Comic Sans MS]Yes! I believe they are also referred to as Gypsy? (Correct me if I am wrong.) This would be a question to ask your agency as to whether they deal in regions with a larger Roma population. These children stand almost no chance of being adopted domestically in Russia. How sad...these children are so beautiful. There are other ethnic groups in Russia with the darker Roma coloring too...of couse my mind is blanking right now...[/font]
Yes, there are children of Roma heritage in Russia. We met a few families who have adopted children of Roma heritage and I believe there are some on the forums.
I would tell your agency , they should be able to help you.
Vicki
My beauty is of Roma heritage too.
FYI - Gypsy is a slang/derogatory term - although it is not understood to be in the US yet.
There are many children of Roma and Chechen heritage there, and Russians will not adopt these children. Our daughter is Chechen and was passed over by several Russian families before she was referred to us.
Please, go to Russia! Those babies need families, and they likely won't ever get adopted by a Russian family.
Bless you!
Advertisements
[font=Comic Sans MS]Waiting~[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Sorry...I know it is a slang term but I remember reading somewhere that in Russia many Roma children are referred to as 'Gypsy.' It was not my intent to offend...:o ...that's why I wrote Gypsy instead of gypsy...something someone had suggested as a sign of respect...sorry.[/font]
I think that our oldest, also from Kemerovo, maybe Roma..how can you tell? He does have olive skin and dark eyes..where our youngest is very fair and blond/reddish hair.
Becky, it's likely that he's Roma. I'm surprised they didn't have it in the paperwork. Kaitlin's heritage was listed as Chechen.
I will have to check the paperwork. I have a friend whose little boy is from Romania. They favor. That is why I thought he may have some Roma heritage.
Advertisements
Roma is different than Romainan, although there are many Roma in Romania. Say that fast three times! We were actually told that our son had a Romani birthmother during our first trip, otherwise, we wouldn't have known. He has lovely olive skin that tans so well, and dark brown hair with redish highlights, and huge almond shaped brown eyes.
I'm sorry - I wasn't offended. I was just trying to give folks a heads up. You are right that it the large g, small g things has a reference that makes it more acceptable.
K - if I was offended, I would have touched base with you personally. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. Not my intention - that's what I get for rushing to add a response before I had to run somewhere.
My daughter's records have her heritage listed as Roma on them too.
Keep in mind there are approx. 80 ethnic heritages in Russia (lots of wars and boundry battles). Certainly children with Roma, Tartar and some other heritages have next to no chance of being adopted by Russian families.
i got my katya from novgorod area (north) in russia. about six hours driving, north of moscow. her birth certificate lists her as gypsy and she is light skinned, blonde, brown eyes.
My son is a Bulgarian of Roma decent.
However, there are kids in is daycare that are Russian. I would say that Alex is probably of Roma decent, but his sister probably is not. He is darker skinned, with dark eyes, but his hair isn't nearly as dark as my little guy. His sister is a blue-eyed blonde!
My sons referral paperwork listed him of Romani decent, with tanned skin coloring.
He's been mistaken for being Hispanic at the hospital and Arab at daycare. And then others don't think he 'looks' either - Hispanic or Arab.
He just looks like my baby to me.
Advertisements
Thank you for all the wonderful responses. I haven't sprung adopting from Russia on my husband yet. He knows I strongly desire to adopt internationally again. I am happy to know there are Roma children. I would love to adopt a child who looks like my daughter. Although, she blends in great in our family. She has all the gorgeous features everyone listed. My husband and step-kids are Indian (from India) so they all blend well. Everyone who sees our daughter with the two of us think she is our birth daughter. Seeing me alone they know she is adopted.
So, back to the subject...If my husband gets promoted we will hopefully be able to do another adoption. Otherwise, he says we can't until we have the money in hand. I haven't researched Russian adoptions...can someone give me a ballpark figure?
Thanks!!