Advertisements
Advertisements
I know of a lady who was going to have an abortion but my sister told her I would be interested in adopting her baby if she would not abort it. Now my question is: can the woman have her baby and just give it to me? Legally do I need representation or can she sign it over to me at the hospital? She is married but he doesn't want the baby because he doesn't believe it is his. If it is born and proved to be his then they will keep it. Other than that they don't want it. What should I do? I live in Ohio if that matters.
Hi Melissa,
She cannot just give you her baby. You will need to contact an adoption attorney in Ohio. If you don't know how to find one, I would try posting a message on the general forums asking other members to PM you some Ohio attorney recommendations.
Hope this helps!
Advertisements
Dee is right - there are many laws around the placement of a child in an adoptive home. No one can legally 'just give' a child to another to raise.
The American Academy of Adoption Attorneys keeps its' member list online at [url]www.adoptionattorneys.com[/url]. I would contact a few members in your area and meet with them regarding this situation. They will be able to best guide you in what the requirements are in Ohio.
HTH
Regina
I have contacted a great adoption agency in Ohio (where I also live) about possible situations like this and they stated that they can handle everything including homestudy, legal representation for the mother, counseling, etc. for what seemed a reasonable price. You would not need any legal representation until you go to file to finalize the adoption which is at least 6 months after placement. PM me and I can get you the contact information. They are in Columbus and Toledo I think.
BrandyHagz
Ohio is an agency only state - so you'll all need to get in contact with an agency.
I'm sorry but this is incorrect info. Ohio is not an agency only state.
I work for Attorneys who handle adoptions from time to time. In Ohio you must use an agency OR an attorney.
Advertisements
Do you have to do the home study and the other stuff if you use an attorney? May I ask what it cost for an attorney to do this ? I have a friend that is 18 and pregnent with # 2 in 2 years and can barely take care of 1. So she asked us to adopt the baby.
You do have to do a homestudy. All in all it cost us between 8k - 10k including the atty, homestudy costs and travel. Just be sure that if there are any health concerns or social services are involved you consider a few factors. If social services is involved and takes custody if only for a few days, you can be eligible for subsidies that can help with possible health issues. We did not know this. Social services is involved with our birthfamily but did not get involved in our private adoption. At first there were a few health concerns that could have been covered by the state if ss had taken custody. Lucky for us it resolved itself. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating just trying to get a subsidy for the heck of it, but when there are health issues costs can be concerning).
Beth
melissa_isa
I know of a lady who was going to have an abortion but my sister told her I would be interested in adopting her baby if she would not abort it. Now my question is: can the woman have her baby and just give it to me? Legally do I need representation or can she sign it over to me at the hospital? She is married but he doesn't want the baby because he doesn't believe it is his. If it is born and proved to be his then they will keep it. Other than that they don't want it. What should I do? I live in Ohio if that matters.
Well we are in the same boat and I have talked to an attorney here in Findlay, Ohio and he charges $750 for adoption and home study is $150 with Children Services total is lees than $1000. He is who everyone I spoke with recommended and he is 1 attorney in our town I know dots his I's and crosses his T's. We are in Hancock County and if you are close and need his info I will be happy to give you his number and address.
Good luck! We are having a hard time with the fact that the bmother has to spend 12 hours with the baby within the 72 hour grace period. In Ohio they have a 72 grace period to let the mother decide if this is really what she wants but after/if she signs the reliquish papers she loses all rights and cannot change her mind! But the father has to sign off too or it is an at risk adoption for 30 days after birth and if he contest it in those 30 days he could more than likely get the baby. If he doesn't sign off in 30 days after birth then he loses his right.
I am so scare to do all of this and then have her change her mind in the 12 hours she has to spend with him/her because he said women do change their minds as soon as they see the baby and it is their right. We asked the attorney why we had to have home study when we knew each other and she picked us and he said it was state law, they check crimal record, credit report, work history and come to see your home and if they refuse you then you can not adopt! This is our 4th time to try to get a baby or child and we lost the other 3, so this being more complicated than Florida is really wearing on my stress level.
I hope you get your DREAM!!!
Advertisements
JPW
I have contacted a great adoption agency in Ohio (where I also live) about possible situations like this and they stated that they can handle everything including homestudy, legal representation for the mother, counseling, etc. for what seemed a reasonable price. You would not need any legal representation until you go to file to finalize the adoption which is at least 6 months after placement. PM me and I can get you the contact information. They are in Columbus and Toledo I think.
Thank you for your reply but the 12 hours the bmother has to spend with the baby has got all of us including her
nervous and she wants more time to think about if she can do it after seeing the baby. None of us knew she had to see the baby! She thought she could just tell them we were his/her parents and not see the child until after 72 hrs. because that is what she wanted. We agreed to take her to lunch so she could see the baby but she wanted to do it after she signed. Now it is a new decision, an even more heart wrenching one, she has to make. As if deciding to give up her baby wasn't hard enough!!
The 12 hours must be a county requirement because I'm in a very similar situation in Ohio, and there is no such requirement here. The BM doesn't have to see the baby at all, but can if she chooses to. But, if the BM is married, you need an attorney because her husband is automatically the legal father of the baby, irregardless if he is the biological father.
I'd say get an attorney right away so you know exactly what you need to do. That's what we did and it has saved us time and worry!!
I am in Akron, Ohio and in a similar situation. We were just asked to be potential adoptive parents to a young woman's baby. But she lives in Virginia. We contacted an attorney immediately and she said she charges $1500 for adoptions plus the court filing fees ranging from $2-800 depending. We already have our homestudy so we don't have to pay for that. I understand the advice of getting social services involved, but in my opinion, once they're involved you run the risk of not getting your baby. I'm opting for private all the way. I am currently a licensed foster to adopt parent and social services is loaded with red tape. Good luck to both of us!!!