Advertisements
Advertisements
What do we think about the name Eloise?
My mother's name is Lois and I would love to name my future daughter after her, but I just really, really don't like the name Lois on it's own. The name Eloise is starting to grow on me, partially because it has "lois" in the middle of it.
Here's my concern...my daughter will be African, but growing up in the US with a white mother. Is Eloise an old white lady name or can a black girl pull it off while growing up?
(And I promise NEVER to call her Weezy!)
That's great that you're sensitive to her ethnicity (good mommy!), but I think "Eloise" is an absolutely beautiful name...no matter what your daughter's color. It's an old-fashioned name (read: not trendy!) that has a bit more flair than say, Louise. And incorporating your mother's name is priceless.
I have the opposite situation, I named my white daughter "Ruby", which is a very popular name among elderly Black women. But I didn't let that discourage me. My daughter's name suits her well and I can't imagine her as anything else. I think the same will apply to little Eloise (if you decide to go that route).
ps. My daughter's middle name is "Frances" after my deceased mother.
Advertisements
I'm bumping myself back up...
As my adoption becomes more and more of a possibility, I simply MUST know what other people think of the name Eloise!
I no longer have concerns about her racial identity - now I just want to know if she'll get beat up on the playground.
Nickname would probably be either Eli or Lola.
Opinions...PLEASE!
I think it is a very pretty name, although I must admit the only person I know who is named Eloise is an ooooold lady. :p
That said, I think she'll be fine, especially if you go for Lola as a nickname - that's a pretty "hip" name to counteract any old-fashionedness of her full name. Besides, there are many "older" names that are becoming quite common these days, like Lucy, Abigal etc, so I don't think your DD would stand out for having the name Eloise.
I hope your DD is home with you soon! :)
I personally like the name.
Why?
1. It's not trendy.
2. It's not a made-up name (i.e. a bunch of syllables stuck together).
3. It's spelled the "normal" way.
These are all my personal peeves about names, though.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if some people don't know how to pronounce it.
I also like Elise. A little less of your mom's name, but still an honor I would think.
I love the name. It sounds kind of british in some ways. I totally love the nickname Lola. In fact, if we have (ok Adopt) another we might name her Lola or Layla. After reading tour post I'm considerine Eloise. I really like it. she'll be here soon, yes?
Advertisements
I think it is fine for your baby but for me I could not handle it ONLY because it is too close to my dh's exs name.Her name is ELOISA and she has put my dsd through he**.
I like older sounding names if/when we get to adopt our little girl(she is 5 months now) we are going to call her Sophia I like names that when you call it out you do not have 30 kids turn around
Thanks! I feel SO much better now!
Am mired in paperwork...hopefully Eloise will be with me in the next few months.
"(And I promise NEVER to call her Weezy!)"
Too funny!!! lol, Well Elle is a cute nickname too if one should evolve.
I personally think Eloise is a pretty name for a little girl and a respectable name for a lady (not just old and white-lol)
Advertisements
Eloise is fine for a black girl with a white mom. Heck, my name is Millicent, which I consider a very formal Waspy name and I 'm black. She'll be ok.
Eloise is a beautiful and elegant name. I knew a young black woman with that name who was also beautiful and elegant. Her nickname was Ellie.
Advertisements
I love that name. I was contemplating on naming one of my girls Eloise. But it was going to be after the Eloise books 'Eloise at the plaza' But I was having issues thinking of a middle name. I would use my middle name, but I dont have a middle name lol.