Advertisements
Advertisements
Can I adopt my step-kids without a lawyer? I live in Texas. I can't afford the $5000. I'm told it costs.
Thanks for any help.
Specner
Advertisements
Hi there. Although most people recommend laywers for adoption, I read an interesting blog from a paralegal in Texas that convinced me that it is anyone's constitutional right to represent themself in any legal matter. I was advised to have an attorney but chose to do my own grandparent adoption. It worked out for me, but I also did alot of research and sought out wise counsel to help me (and I have a legal background). Where there is a will, there is a way. Check out your court website and you may find the forms posted on-line. I started there, read the court rules and started preparing the forms. When I needed help, i contacted the Clerk's office. Good luck!
Spencer,
Yes, you can do your own step-parent adoption. :) It's relatively simple, just time consuming. :rolleyes: I can forward the information to you if you would like. I know I've already sent you the info on the relinquishment. Let me know if you would like the rest of it. I'm in Texas also and I did the adoption paperwork for my husband to adopt my sons. :D
txtaylor
Spencer,
Yes, you can do your own step-parent adoption. :) It's relatively simple, just time consuming. :rolleyes: I can forward the information to you if you would like. I know I've already sent you the info on the relinquishment. Let me know if you would like the rest of it. I'm in Texas also and I did the adoption paperwork for my husband to adopt my sons. :D
Could you forward step parent adoption info to me please. I have some forms, but as you have completed the process I would the help. Thanks. msmith7174@houston.rr.com
Advertisements
As many of you we don't have the money to spare on a lawyer. My ex husband died last year and I have one daughter, age 17 who is going to college in a few months. My health is bad and my boyfriend wants to adopt her and be responsible for her. Any paperwork or leads to free legal docs is much appreciated.
God bless......Chela
I just talked to a lawyer here in Houston that quoted me $5000! I can not pay that even on a payment plan. I was wondering if you could also forward me that information, please. My husband wants to adopt my son and the biological father left when I was 6 months pregnant. The Attorney General tried to find him for up to 2 years and finally closed the case. I figured this would be an open and shut case. He is not a legal citizen of the US and is more than likely not even in this country.
Thank you very much for your help.
april7623@hotmail.com
txtaylor
Spencer,
:arrow: I'm going crazy here. My ex-husband is sporaticly in the picture and never pays child support. I opened a case with child support enforcement and he's been to jail for non-payment already. I refuse to drop the child support enforcment order and it makes him very very mad. So i told him since his issues were all about money and not the welfare of the kids then he could just sign adoption papers and he wouldn't have to worry about child support anymore. Where i messed up was when i told him he could then go on with his life with his new family and it would be like he never had to two kids. Well obviously he wouldn't go for it then. So is there anything i can do? My husband has taken care my my kids since they were 18 months old. He wants to adopt them very much. But im afraid that dream will not come true. Can anyone help??
Advertisements
I want to adopt my 16 year old step daughter, with out a lawyer. Money is very tight. Her Dad has full custody of her, and her Biol Mom was only given a week visitation per year. Well my step daughter has not seen or heard from her Biol Mom in about 4 years, and the Mom has never paid child support or any thing.
My step daughter wants me to adopt her, her Dad and I are soon to Divorce, and she wants nothing to do with him. She wants to live with me and her half brothers. My husband, her Dad, is emotionally abusive, and is an alcholic. I just want to protect her, I have been in her life since she was 5. She calls me Mom, and I treat her as if she were my own. I have been her Mom, now I NEED to make it legal.
Need Help.
tylercory
I want to adopt my 16 year old step daughter, with out a lawyer. Money is very tight. Her Dad has full custody of her, and her Biol Mom was only given a week visitation per year. Well my step daughter has not seen or heard from her Biol Mom in about 4 years, and the Mom has never paid child support or any thing.
My step daughter wants me to adopt her, her Dad and I are soon to Divorce, and she wants nothing to do with him. She wants to live with me and her half brothers. My husband, her Dad, is emotionally abusive, and is an alcholic. I just want to protect her, I have been in her life since she was 5. She calls me Mom, and I treat her as if she were my own. I have been her Mom, now I NEED to make it legal.
Need Help.
I don't know that there is anything you can do in this situation. In TX you have to be married to adopt your significant other's child (i.e. you can only do a stepparent adoption if you are legally a stepparent). If you are no longer married you're not a stepparent any longer. Normally the child has a lot of say if they are old enough (especially at 16) but the fact remains that if you are getting a divorce you cannot stepparent adopt. Furthermore, in a stepparent adoption you do of course need the consent of the biological parents. It doesn't sound like the father (your soon to be ex) would be agreeable to that if you were to stay married only long enough to adopt (not that this would work or necessarily be best but it is the only real possibility for stepparent adoption). And, finally you would also need the birthmom to agree and sign to terminate her rights. All of that is just so terribly difficult given your circumstances and what appears [from your message] to be the attitude of the bfather and bmother.
Maybe the best option since she is already 16 years old is to stay in her life to the best of your ability and do a formal adult adoption when she is legally an adult (possibly 17 in some states?).
Goodluck.
{edit} I just wanted to add that your daughter might be able to legally emancipate from her father and then she could live with you and her brothers. Check with a lawyer or read the TX statutes. That might be an option.
Advertisements
[URL="http://forums.adoption.com/texas-step-parent-adoption-support/161473-voluntary-relinquishment-parental-rights-form-19.html"]Forms you requested. Last page about 5 posts from the bottom.
[/URL]