Advertisements
Advertisements
Please keep their hair conditioned. Cotton pillow cases dry their hair out. If you can, use silk scarves to wrap their hair. That may be difficult but otherwise their hair is dry and looks brittle.
Advertisements
Jackobanzi,
Visiting from another board but have enjoyed learning from your knowledge. The pictures were great. It has always been a dream of mine to spend some time in various parts of Africa your pictures reminded how much I need to work on making that happen.
Ami
hi jackobanzi,
sorry I'm so late in responding. I'm not in egypt now. Traveled for work, but I've quit academia, so I'm stuck in the states. Probably a good thing, since dd works in high security stuff and folks are a bit crazy these days.
Tried to make it to khartoum, but had so much stuff to do in Egypt each trip that I never made it :( . Next time :) .
be safe,
lisa
Hello! I am biracial. We just adopted Caucasian daughter. My daughter's hair needs are different than yours, but my own are not. Some tips: only wash hair twice a week at most. Avoid products with alcohol in them. Take your daughter(s) to a black hair salon or black hairdresser to help answer any questions. It sounds racsist, but trust me-I Know from experience!!!!!!!!!! You'll save lot's of money on unused hair products.
Just an update on our product search.....we received our Carols Daughter products about a month ago and I love them. I use the hair milk on J and the hair butter on Lili. I like that they are both light when compared to the other oilier products I was using. I still use a "heavier" product every once in a while when their hair seems to need more hold.
The hair butter has a stronger smell in the jar but when on Lili's hair it isn't as strong. Lili's hair has improved and grown in the last few weeks and it looks like we've finally reversed all the damage done in her previous foster home. :clap:
Advertisements
congrats!
I've been told that damaged hair grows better when left to its own devices: not a lot of combing, brushing, certainly no pressing or relaxing. The hair will grow back, but since curly hair has to grow in a spiral, it will take longer to be seen :) .
the hair milk lasts longer if refrigerated, otherwise it starts to separate.
I just found this thread and am trying many suggestions. I've had my daughter for a year and thought I was doing a great job with her hair. We were alternating between Pantene for women of color and Just for me. However, lately my daughter's scalp is dry and she claims it is itchy. I oil it with jojoba oil once a week and use a spray braid sheen/oil every other day. I'm ordering some Carol's Daughter products as I write this. I also went from washing weekly to every other week. That was suggested to me by several people.
We'll see how it goes...
Any other suggestions for dry scalp???
Thanks!
ahimsa,
One thing you could try: On the weeks you don't wash with shampoo (or mid-week if you go back to washing weekly), try just using a deep conditioner on their hair without shampooing first.
That works for our girls when their hair seems too dry and it is too early for a full shampoo.
Ok, A little of my own experience. I do not have any children yet ( :( :( ) but I have my own hair, and a host of family members with different types of hair. I must say that the Pantene for women of color products top my list and #1. :cheer: They leave your hair feeling silky, and have a daily moisturizer that works wonders. Good Luck
Advertisements
leaabc123 - do you wet the hair and rinse out the conditioner, or are you talking about a leave in conditioner?
lareyna - I had also heard good things about Pantene. I don't think it is the shampoo that is the problem. I got on Carol's Daughter and ordered many different products to try out. We'll see!
we have used both. currently, we go between paul mitchell's conditioner (leave in) and Neutrogena's triple conditioining line.
what your daughter may be experiencing is something more "eczema/seborrhea/psoriasis and the like, rather than just a generic itchy scalp. I currently have peach fuzz hair, but still get itchy. I wash my head every time I shower and use Head and shoulders Dry scalp care shampoo. I use it on dd as well as the dry scalp care conditioner when needed. it works great. I've used this routine for my head for many years, even when I had hair (over ten years ago). when I had hair I washed it every 3-4 days and that really helped keep it under control. for me it's a nervous spot on my head that just gets itchy under stress, has nothing to do with my conditioners or shampoos.
try some over the counter shampoos to treat severe dandruff and see what happens.
I actually did buy Pantene dandruff shampoo for women of color this week but haven't used it yet. I have a hard time telling how itchy my daughter's scalp really is because she has a lot of nervous habits, including itching herself. I will try it though. My husband also uses Selsun Blue. I should give it a go as well!
Thanks!
Advertisements
Has anyone used any of the Miss Jessie's products.....specifically the Curly Pudding? I'm thinking of trying it but wanted to know what ya'll think....
OK...I read this post and got on the Carol's Daughter website. I have place two orders since and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the products! My daughters hair is nicer. The kids skin is softer. My son's scalp is nicer. I love it! I also love that everything is all natural and botanical. I would rather have products with mint, rosemary and shea than with chemicals and names I can't pronounce.
Thanks for the tip! I love these boards!!!