Advertisements
Advertisements
I was wondering if anyone had any information on whether the name on the adoption papers are real or fake. I was adopted in 1966. Do you think they had to use their legal names or could make one up? Things were soooooo different 40 years ago. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion.
hi rwilbanks,
I don't have any info for you, but I have heard of people having their names, birthdates, and place of birth changed. I'm sure you'll get some info here to help in your search.
I hope you get your answers soon.
Advertisements
Hi,
In my experience from helping people search, I have not run into any fake names. I do know that some of the women went by fake name in maternity homes, but the maternity homes knew their real name. I don't think that girls used fake names on the adoption decrees-as they were legally binding papers. After all, if a woman did give a fake name, imagine six months later, her coming back for her child and saying she never signed, "that's not my name", etc. I think that the courts would have done their best to make sure everything was legit.
I asked the same question many, many times to a variety of seachers, private investigators and the courts. Good question.
Everyone I polled said that it is NOT often found that birthmothers have fake names. Earlier, up until around the 1960 mark, sometimes women who were relinquishing their child would go by a different name during the time they were either in the "girls home" or the in convelesence in a private setting somewhere. But if the adoption went through ANY sort of legal channels, chances are very strong that the name is correct.
Search angels can sometimes cross-check if you have the full name and they have access to certain documents.
Good Luck -
Radiodoll
[font=Century Gothic]Lisa,[/font]
I don't think that they were allowed to put fake names on paperwork but then again, anything is possible. I can tell you this much. My Aunt was divorced when she gave her son up for adoption but was still going by her married name and that is the name on the adoption paperwork but that is not the name she goes by now. She is divorced again now for over 10 years and goes by her last married name.
I think that is the most difficult obstacle. Women change their names. Birth fathers always have the same name.
Also, just as an example. I grew up going by my middle name and maiden name, Michelle B. but if anyone comes looking for me, I now go by my first name and married name, April L.
I know it is frustrating but keep looking and God bless you.
April Michelle :flower:
I think the name on my adoption papers for my bdad is fake. I was told by the agency not to put too much weight in this name as a lot of times bmom's did give a fake name for a bdad because they were trying to "protect" him or for other reasons.
Advertisements
I was born in a maternity home in the late 50's. On my birth certificate, my bmom's middle and first name were switched. After a little research I found that it was a common practice for bmom's in the home to go by their middle name.
I personally know someone who learned after she got her court records here in Okla opened that the name of her bmom was an alias. Her amom went to the attorney's office and was able to get the bmom's 'real' name. I was suprised a fake name could actually wind up on legal court documents, even with a private adoption like hers was. I did notice on my hospital birth records that my bmom tried to be admited under an alais, but that was later corrected by the hosptial staff.
Have your checked any high school yearsbooks? This might be a tedious chore, but one thing you might try and do is check and see if you can find a birth annoucement for your bmom's name in the newspaper archives, providing you may know where she was from.
Chris