Advertisements
Advertisements
We are not the "norm". My husband is white and I am biracial. We just adopted a beautiful baby girl who happens to be white. I am curious if there are any other families similar to us out there. And if you have any advice. All the advice seems geared toward white families adopting children of color, not the other way around.
Congrats on the new addition to your family my parents both CC adopted my brothers and sisters and me all of which except one(CC) who are AA and biracial. All together she adopted ten kids making our family a total of 12 kids counting my two older brothers from her first marriage. Most of us were adopted from the foster care system due to mainly being drug exposed but two were done privately with laywers. Growing up in a predominatly CC community I never felt any different from my friends at school or was ever excluded or treated any differently although my mom did kind of hit the AA books and dolls pretty hard and alot of shows like "Gullah Gullah Island", "Little Bill",etc. Your best bet for adopting in our experience has been to go the private route through a lawyer which allows you to meet the birth mother first and so on and so forth.Hope this helps.
Advertisements
Congratulations on your adoption!
You're not the typical family, but I think a lot of the advice we often see given would still apply...
You might encounter people who don't expect you to be the baby's mom and will think you are the nanny--this has happened to a friend of mine a lot. Other people will rudely ask "Where did you get her?" You might want to think of how you will reply, keeping in mind that your daughter may be hearing the reply many many times.
Your daughter will eventually have the same questions a brown child with a white parent would have about skin color differences, and you might be more comfortable in answering if you have thought about it ahead of time.
If you live in a mostly white neighborhood/school district/social world, (and probably even if you don't) your daughter will sooner or later have to "defend" you to people who make comments or questions about you directly to her. If you live in a mostly black world, she will have to "defend" herself in similar situations. You may want to prepare her for that.
Not to predict gloom and doom, but you may not know yet just how surprisingly rude people can be. I didn't, until I had my kids ;)
Meanwhile, enjoy that baby!
Please read "Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?" It also addresses families that look different. There's a story in there about a Black woman with two Black daughters who married a White man when the girls were very young. It's a very interesting story in this book that speaks to all KINDS of interracial/multiracial family situations!
Other people will rudely ask "Where did you get her?" You might want to think of how you will reply, keeping in mind that your daughter may be hearing the reply many many times.
"From God, where all blessing come from" would be my answer...
we are similar, different but similar, I am CC, dh is NA/CC (looks NA), we have one BioDaughter and one adopted daughter AA. So we're a tri-racial family of variouis shades. I know in our case we draw a lot of attention - I like to think it's just because of how adorable the baby is, everyone cranes their neck to see a baby, but then we get the 2nd glance too. In our family when my older daughter was young, we engaged in conversation about shades very early on, adn will do so with younger daughter as she gets older. Your situation is different but I'm sure you'll have to have similar discussions with her. I'm sure she's going to grow up with a wonderful perception of race though. The book Bellazmama mentioned sounded good, will look for that.
Advertisements
You are not alone. I am Mexican, my husband cc, our adopted daughter is AA, and we have a biological son. Yes, some people will be rude. Just tell your children that their value those not come from their skin color, but from being children of God.