Advertisements
Advertisements
SOOO happy to find this site. I would truly like your opinion or thoughts on my situation. We meet a bio mom through a friend of mine. When baby was 2 mths old bio mom realized she could no longer take care of baby. We got the baby and filed our petition for adoption on January 28th. Bio mom claimed she wasn't sure who the father was. Putative father claims he didn't know biomom was pregnant and just found out she had a baby. There was a putative father register on the registry on Feb 2nd. Last week my attorney got court papers from putative fathers attorney saying he filed for paternity and depending on the paternity results (paternity test is March 21st) he will be contesting adoption and fighting for custody. This putative father is 18yrs old, lives with his unemployed mother, doesn't have a license and just got in trouble with the law. He has never seen the baby or contributed anything to baby or biomom. I'm freaking out! Are we gonna loose our baby?
I'm sorry you're going through this.
But if he is the father, he has a right to raise his child. It doesn't matter his age, her housing situation or income
His rights vary form state to state. You lawyer can best speak to your chances in your state
Advertisements
I know tone can't come across much online, so please know that I really am saying this gently.
She is not your baby yet. I think it's important to keep in mind, since you may not end up as her parents. If not, at least you can have given her a loving start, and perhaps you can continue to be a support for her and her family if this is her father.
As for potential dad not contributing to her support - that would be difficult if he never knew about the pregnancy. At this point it is not about who can give the child the best advantage, but about whether her parents are both onboard with adoption, and about her right to be with her father and his right to parent her.
I never had a child in my home who then left with private adoption, although I was matched a couple of times before my son was born; given the pain my longest-term match caused, I can only imagine how scary and painful must be to have a child in your home and have to consider them leaving. I'm sorry you're going through this, and I really do hope it can work out with the least pain for all involved.
I know tone can't come across much online, so please know that I really am saying this gently.
She is not your baby yet. I think it's important to keep in mind, since you may not end up as her parents. If not, at least you can have given her a loving start, and perhaps you can continue to be a support for her and her family if this is her father.
As for potential dad not contributing to her support - that would be difficult if he never knew about the pregnancy. At this point it is not about who can give the child the best advantage, but about whether her parents are both onboard with adoption, and about her right to be with her father and his right to parent her.
I never had a child in my home who then left with private adoption, although I was matched a couple of times before my son was born; given the pain my longest-term match caused, I can only imagine how scary and painful must be to have a child in your home and have to consider them leaving. I'm sorry you're going through this, and I really do hope it can work out with the least pain for all involved.
Advertisements
It depends if the state has automatic return of child upon petition of custody. If he is the biological father he will either be given a case worker and a plan to work to receive custody of child or yes, if he is the father he will be given custody. I am so sorry you are going through this. Parental rights can be so complicated. We suffered a heartbreak when we fought for a child that was placed with us two years ago and judge didn't even let us in the court room - said we weren't even a party to the case since biological parent had asserted custody. If he wants to parent, and is the father, the courts will let him try. I am so sorry - hugs to you.
As others have said, sadly for you, if this young man is the father of this baby, this baby is his and not yours. It doesn't matter if he is young, whether his mother is employed, or if he has a "license" (I assume you mean drivers' license?). If this is his child, he and the child have the right to each other.
It's sad that the mother lied to you and that you are paying in one way for her deception--but that you continue to call this child "yours" and talk about the father the way you do also makes me think that maybe you were deceived into the popular belief that if a father is "deficient" in some way that will negate his rights to his child, and his child's rights to him. Happens often and it's almost never the case and it almost always results in heartbreak.
It might help to think of it this way--adopted children grow up. And in this information age there are no secrets. How would you feel having to look this child in the face at age 10, or 15, or 20, and tell her that her father found out about her only when she was 2 months old, that he immediately filed for his right to her, that you knew he wanted her and fought for her, but that you prevented that from happening?
As horrible as it is. Unless they have both voluntarily signed consent you technically have his child without his consent. My 2nd DD's first mother tried to bypass first father's consent by saying (what if we X) I said absolutely not! I told her thats not the way adoptions are done. We contacted first Dad at first he didnt want to, he did eventually come around with his mental issues and living situation.
If she didn't know then you have to track down every man she slept with until you found him, you have to ask him, get his answer and accept that answer. I'm sorry it wasn't the answer either of you were looking for and I'm sorry that the First Mom wasn't honest with you either. I'm also sorry that she involved and adoptive families hopes and dreams and now you're learning one very tough lesson but you don't want to tell your child he wanted to but we wouldn't let him have you. You'll have another opportunity or perhaps this first Dad will come around to the idea the way ours did but either way it is what it is.
I would not have a problem if this man/father was ok. He does drugs, bounces around from boys to house, always in trouble with the law, etc. I will fight for this baby for her own safety and lifestyle. I can not believe how nasty some of you women are. Support group my butt! Every state has different laws and in Indian if you don't register within 30 days of the child's birth or before the petition for adoption was filed, you basically terminate your parental rights. Plus it's the mans responsibility to check and see if he inpregnated a woman after sex. Any man can use the excuse "I didn't know she was pregnant". Some of you cruel and rude women make me sick!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements