Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are in the research phase of considering adopting a child from Guatemala. One of our obstacles is the enormous cost, as I'm sure you all know. I had heard that there were sources available to assist with some of the costs and have done a good deal of research on-line. I am finding that much of the assistace is given through ministries, which I assume would leave us out as we plan to raise our child Jewish, although we are a mixed-faith couple. My husband's company may offer some assistance, but we are still checking on that. Does anyone have any sources of funding for a Jewish/Mixed-Faith family hoping to adopt? Thank you for your help.
Not unless you are in CA! I have done SO many online searches and gotten nowhere. But in all my looking there seem to be so many avenues for grants, etc for international adoption- keep looking and ask the ministry ones if you can be considered- don't just skip over them for that reason alone!
Advertisements
Try the Hebrew Loan Society--call your local Jewish agency to find out more.
[url]http://www.freeloan.org/[/url]
Every little bit helps!
yael
I think Hebrew Free Loan is only like $1000 max, but every bit does help!
Many of the organizations that seem Christian do not discriminate on the basis of religion - my first agency was Baptist and I'm Jewish!
Melissa =)
I checked out this site and it's for sudents. How do you get a loan for adoption?
melliemooI think Hebrew Free Loan is only like $1000 max, but every bit does help!
Many of the organizations that seem Christian do not discriminate on the basis of religion - my first agency was Baptist and I'm Jewish!
Melissa =)
AJ
Sometimes your local Jewish Federation or Jewish Family and Vocational Services will either have funding or be able to point you in the right direction based on availability in your area. Good luck!
Advertisements
In Los Angeles, JFL (Jewish Free Loans) offers up tp $10,000 - interest free. You pay it back over 5 years. Hope this helps.
Thanks - if anyone has any other sources of adoption funding, whether it be through loans or grants any information would be gratefully appreciated.
If anyone has any other sources for funding, whether through grants or loans specifically for Jewish familes I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Advertisements
Do be aware that Guatemala is closed to Americans for the foreseeable future. Until the U.S. is satisfied that Guatemala has put a truly Hague-compliant system in place, and that the system is working effectively to prevent unethical adoptions, the only Americans bringing home kids from the country will be those who had cases in process at the time of the shutdown; these cases are slowly (very slowly) winding their way through Guatemala's interim system. If you are looking to start your adoptions soon, you probably should be looking at other countries, or at domestic adoption, possibly through the foster care system.
As to funding, both Christian and non-Christian sources of adoption support have cut back significantly, because of the economic climate. If donors can't give money to them -- and charitable giving has decreased substantially -- they can't pass it on to prospective parents. I'm afraid that you will need to look at some alternative funding sources, such as:
1. Getting your employer to pay an adoption benefit. You may want to do some research with regard to how many employers in your area, or in your employer's field of work, already offer such benefits.
2. Taking a loan against your tax-sheltered annuity or 401(k).
3. Asking a relative or a friend for a loan, to be paid back with funds from the adoption tax credit (which you can't take until your adoption is finalized, in the case of an international adoption. Just be sure that you understand how the tax credit works and know exactly how much you will be getting back, given your financial circumstances.
4. Adopting through an agency that provides significant fee reductions for adopting a child who is considered hard to place because of age, disability, etc.
5. Taking a second job, or having an at-home spouse take a job until you complete your adoption.
6. Downsizing -- for example, by moving to cheaper housing, selling one of your vehicles, etc.
7. Holding a fundraiser, possibly in conjunction with a local business, your house of worship, or whatever.
8. Foregoing certain "favorite things", such as coloring your hair, belonging to a spa, buying premium coffees at the shop across from your office, going out to dinner, renting movies, etc., and putting the saved money in a special fund for your adoption.
9. Refinancing your home and taking some cash out, if you can do so without making yourselves "upside down" in terms of how much you owe.
10. Paying off high interest debt, such as credit card debt and short term loans, so that you don't pay a lot of interest charges -- and also so that you can put some adoption expenses (such as airfare) on credit cards later, if you absolutely have to do so.
Sharon