Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi! I am a German citizen, living in the US with my husband who is a US citizen. I am a permanent resident of the US (I have a green card). We are in the process of preparing our dossier and our adoption worker is trying to figure out how to get my German birth certificate authenticated / apostilled. She called the German Consulate and they told her she would have to contact the American Embassy in Germany. HUH??????? That didn't make any sense to either one of us.
Has anyone here adopted from Guatemala who was like me not a US citizen, but living in the US? Can you give me any advice?
Thanks!
Nicole
I think I'm "bumping" this correctly.
I'd love to hear more since my DH is Canadian and I'm the Citizen.
Anyone have the added complication of 2 foreign birth certs? That is where we are now...
Advertisements
Mommy2twins - that won't work I don't think, my agency orginally did the same thing but I found out from the Listserv that I had to do one of the two options that Becky had listed in the previous post.
I chose to do the UK route, but next time for sure I would send it via the Assistant Stork...
Good luck
I am copying the directions for 'what to do' with a Canadian birth certificate. These are about a year old, so the names/fees might not be correct...definitely call before mailing anything.
First you mail your certificate to:
Mario Nunez-Suarez
Legal Advisory Division (JLAC)
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa K1AOG2 ONTARIO
CANADA
613-995-0119
Mr Nunez-Suarez is certifying that the document is legal and correct. The fee has always been free, but call first to be sure.
Then you can also request that they forward the documents to the Guatemalan embassy for you.
Sr. Lic. Carlos Humberto Jimenez Licona
Embajador Extraordinario y Plenipotenciario
130 Albert Street Suite 1010
Ottawa K1P 5G4 ONTARIO
CANADA
613-233-7188
613-230-0135 fax
email: embaguate@webruler.com
$10.00 per document
Send a prepaid self-addressed fed-ex or UPS mailer for him to mail the documents back to you.
Good luck!
This has previously worked for us but our current agency said it would not so they made us go through the hassle of getting the foreign b-certificate. anna
Mommy2twins
My husband is also English (Green Card). We have my name listed as the primary because I am a US citizen. Our agency just had us take a photocopy of the English birth cert and then add Notary text saying that it was a "True & Original" copy of the birth cert. We sent this to the State Capital to get certified (because the Notary was from our State) and then sent the whole thing off to the Guatemalan Embassy for our state to get Authenticated. We also did this with a copy of my Husbands green card per our Agencies request.
Now I am very worried. We haven't entered PGN yet.
Advertisements
Thank you all for your replies -- we ordered new birth certs from the UK today so they should be here later this week. Now we are trying to figure out if we need to send them to Washington DC or if we can just go to our local British Consulate office here is Seattle... any thoughts?? Can you please confirm that all we need is a letter stapled to the birth certs by the British Embassy or Consult and then have them Authenticated by the Guatemalan Consulate that did the rest of our Dossier docs?
Also, can you elaborate on who the "Assistant Stork" is and how we can contact them?
Many thanks,
Shelly
kady2004
Mommy2twins - that won't work I don't think, my agency orginally did the same thing but I found out from the Listserv that I had to do one of the two options that Becky had listed in the previous post.
I chose to do the UK route, but next time for sure I would send it via the Assistant Stork...
Good luck
I had to send mine to the Foreign and Commenwealth office in London - where they apositilled it for me, and then my sister actually walked it to the Guatemalan Embassy in London (they Fed Ex'd it back to me) where it was authenticated, once that was complete it went into our file in Guatemala. It is my understanding that the company "Assistant Stork" (you can google them) are able to walk your docs through the British Embassy in Washington and that negates the need to send them to the F&C office in London, check out their website - there is all the info you need on there. I belive it needs to be done in Washington DC, not sure what the reason behind it was now, but I am sure it needed to go there.... also FWIW PGN asked for a copy of my certificate of Citizenship - both adoptions, so I am sure they will want that copy of the green card too, they wanted proof of my legal status in the US.
Hope that helps.
Thank you --
We will get the adoption stork to usher them through Wash DC for us. We were told earlier on to provide copies of the green card... so we should be ok there.
Again, many thanks!
mommy2twins - Becky's instructions have checked out so far for me, even though I'm from Germany. My mom (in Germany) made some calls and found out that the senate office for the state where my BC was issued will do the apostille. I guess I'll have to have her send it to the Guatemalan Embassy in Germany to get the authentication done?
Becky - how long did it take for the Guatemalan Embassy in Canada to do the authentication for you?
As far as everyone using the US citizen as "the primary" - I know we put down my husband as the petioner on the i600A form. I'm I understanding correctly, is there something the agency fills out or sends with the dossier that lists "primary" or "secondary" adoptive parent / applicant, etc? I guess I'll have to ask my agency about this...
Thanks!
Nicole
Advertisements
That brings up a good point....
We are still a little confused about the authentication requirement. I was hoping that we could get the certified copies from the UK, send them to the British Embassy in Washington DC for the "letter" (not clear what that will say) and then I would send it to our States Guatemalan Consulate which is San Francisco for the Authentication. It sounds like you're saying that it needs to be Authenticated by the British Guatemalan Consulate .... is that right?
If you have the document certifed at the Brititsh Embassy in Washington, then it will be authenticated at the Guatemalan Embassy in Washington.
You cannot get a document authenticated just anywhere...it has to go to the consulate or Embassy that handles that particular state.
Advertisements
My husband is from Scotland (I'm American), and we had to order his birth certificate and have it sent to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London and then to the Guatemalan Embassy in London.
I forgot about the Canadian question...I think it was about a month to get it all done...