Advertisements
Advertisements
11 years ago I was young and stupid and got involved with my boss (at the time). I got pregnant and when I told the BF or "donor" as I called him he told me to abort. I found out after the fact that he had knocked up 3 other girls and when he told him to abort they did. I however did not, I had my son and in the hospital if they don't see a male figure there they ask who to put down as the father of the child. I informed them that there is no father that he wanted me to abort and that is as they say is that. When I went to get the birth certificate offically there is a field for "father of the child" and I left that blank since it match hospital records my son's birth certificate only lists me. Long story short in '04 I married a wonderful man and he treats my son as his own and wants to offically adopt and have my son take his name but we don't have a clue of how to proceed. It's always just been my son & I until now so it's never been a issue. Does anybody know how it works?
What you need to do is go to a book store and buy the book "How to adopt your stepchild in California" It will tell you everything you need to know and the forms will be in there too. As far as the father goes, you will have to send a form to the alleged father so that he has a chance to sign off any and all rights he may have. You shouldn't have any problem with the adoption as long as the alleged father signs the termination form. The book will have all of the forms in it. My husbands adoption will be final next month. We went through alot of snags but finally its all coming together.
Advertisements
if there is no father on the birth certificate and paternity has not been established through anything such as child support or the courts the alledged father does not need to be contacted. IT is alot easier to do an adoption with no father then if paternity had been established. What county are you in? That makes a differance. In my county you get walked through it by a social worker and she talls you how to go about it.
I thought you had to send a form to anyone you thought might be the father to terminate any rights they may have in the future.