Advertisements
Advertisements
my son's biological father has not been in the picture since I was 4 months pregnant (my son is now 14 months old) He does however pay child support I'm also collectin arrears. My fiance wants to adopt my son once we are married (I've been with him since my son was 4 months old and he knows him as "daddy"). Does the biological father still have to pay child support once my son is adopted, or are all his rights waived?
Thank you in advance for all your help!
Once the adoption has been completed - he will no longer be required to pay monthly support - HOWEVER - if he is behind at the time of the adoption, the judge could do one of two things: Order he continue to pay until the arrearages are paid in full or he could excuse the arrearages.
Keep in mind also - offering to ask the judge to forgive arrearages in order to get dad to terminate his parental rights can be seen as coercion and can result in the adoption being overturned - so do not make that offer...
Advertisements
My ex wanted to adopt my oldest also. Her biofather owed thousands of back child support from the day she was born. And when my ex and I started the paperwork, the state said that my daughter's biofather's support has been paid in full. I am like WHAT?
The state said well.. the child only needs one father. It floored me.
After my ex got custody of my oldest, I had to pay child support for a short time. Then he finished the paperwork we started and adopted my daughter. I was (edited)...lol