Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Stealing food
I also would suggest a door alarm. We use them, not to keep them in, but to let us know when they are "up".
We installed them after we discovered our little one taking the can of mixed nuts to his room (he'd bring them back, but the lid was broken). We then found that the eldest was eating chocolate (huge no-no for his diet). And then to top it off, they were lighting candles in the boys room (including our daughter, who is not supposed to be in the boys room and is only "basic" level, and not supposed to have any of these "behaviors" HA!). We had told them at the beginning that they could have their candy and snacks in the kitchen (on the counter even), but never have food in their rooms due to the ants.
Anyways, the best advice I can give you besides the door alarms is to read Nancy Thomas. She gives great advice on this exact situation. I've been using some of her advice for 3 months now. It really does work!
I love her stories! The one about food is something like "you have an empty space here (pointing to their heart) and sometimes kids try to fill up here (pointing to their tummy) to make up for the empty space in their heart. So, we'll work on filling up your heart and until then, you eat as much as you need to". She goes out of her way to find reasons to give ice cream and other sweet treats often. Her thoughts on this are also insightful (don't know how scientific they are, but she's had great results!).
Good luck and hang in there! I know what it's like... but it was my brother one time (he was in college and living with me) and another time it was my husband!!!