Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else can claim feeling what I call "Survivor Guilt"? I am 33, married, have a beautiful son and successful career, yet I am often plagued with guilt. A lot of my guilt comes from issues with my parents. Whenever something does not go their way, they throw a guilt trip on me and it works every time. I know it is very disfunctional, but I don't know how to change things. Most of the guilt trips have to do with my son. I think that since I "survived" the system, I tend to give in to my parents and other people constantly. I am also overly helpful, thankful, and appreciative to everything and everyone. Some background info: my brother is a drug addict and in prison, so I am all that my parents have; I have met my birth mother and it is a distant but friendly relationship; I stand to inherit a lot of money from my parents, and I think that is also part of my guilt. Thoughts, anyone? Thank you, Jeffie
Dear Adoptee,
Thanks for posting. You bring up a topic that I think a lot of adoptees can relate to. Some adoptees do feel overly responsible for the feelings and well-being of their adoptive parents. Sometimes this is related to the message that adoptees should feel grateful for being adopted. My feeling is that adoptees should feel as grateful as non-adoptees.
It might be helpful to get some counseling and/or read some books along co-dependency/assertiveness lines to help you stand up to your parents and others. Since we teach people how to treat us, changing your behavior will change theirs. When you get to the point where you feel you have nothing to lose by being yourself, you will be able to stand up to anyone, including your parents. And don't let them tell you what to do regarding your son - you are his parent and the one in charge of his well-being.
By the way, you are not all that your parents have. They have your brother too, no matter where he is he is still their son and hopefully they know that. You don't need to make any apologies for him or where he is.
The best way to deal with the possibility of inheriting money is to forget about it. Act as if you will not receive any money from them and then you will be acting more authentically.
You may not be able to change your parents but you can change the way you relate to them and that will change the relationship. You realize there is a problem and that is a huge step. Keep going!!
Wishing you all the best.
Marlou Russell, Adoptee Forum
Advertisements