Advertisements
Advertisements
Our Lilia (age 2) is just beside herself if we put her in a baby swing at the park or we do any kind of playful swinging at home. She stiffens up, puts her hands to her mouth and starts to go into freak-out mode with this certain sound she makes....and then cries franticially. It's kind of frightening to watch. She panics. We certainly stop right away but we try again every couple weeks just in very small doses. Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this??
1 Liked
 likes this.
Oh my goodness! Poor little thing! Sounds like you're doing everything right, small doses and all. Have you tried taking her on any small rides, like a carousel or train ride in a park or even a pony ride? She might like one of these things and then get a little more used to movement not caused by herself. Personally, I've never been able to tolerate much movement, either. It makes me panic, too!
Do you have any access to paddle boats or row boats or slow moving boats like this? Sometimes, the movement on the water really gets me used to moving around and then I seem to do better with other stuff, like Disneyland rides. Hope all works out o.k. It must be tough seeing her so scared.....I hate to see Jax scared...of anything!
God bless,
Shawn
Advertisements
We had the same issue with our two year old. We built up her tolerance to movement by doing "Humpty Dumpty" and would lower her backwards during the "had a great fall". I would sit in our office chair also and slowly spin her around while in my lap and stop before she became dizzy. I sat in the sling swing with her in my lap and swung slowly with her. She now will sit in the swing herself but not in the baby swing which is higher off the ground. I think she may have a depth perception issue also as she nearly sits down to get down the cobblestone paver between the driveway and the lawn. Overall, she is getting better with movement but I think physical therapy and vestibular work have helped improve her panic and anxiety.
My first child hated swinging until she was about three. Even throwing her up in the air and stuff...it would cause her to hold her breath and turn purple. James wasn't scared. Jagger, my third is also scared of the throwing but can handle a swing. Kaylee, by the way, is also scared of someone moving her chair while she is sitting on it...she doesn't like things that aren't stable. Yet...she went down the zipline at family camp six times last week!! Go figure!!
Our son who is 2.5 years old hates the swing. He has always hated it ever since coming home at 8 months old. We even had a big picnic to install it,(uncles and grandpa, & daddy) we used polyropes, with these safety hooks to hold the little tykes swing a foot from the ground. He still hates it, but loves to push it. We have tried numerous times to put him in it. We finally can put him in it push him forward but he hates the return flight: :eek:
So we just look at it hanging in the backyard tree and hope one day we can use it.
My youngest son 3y/o was always scared of heights and swings, is just now coming around a little, but is still isn't big fan of swings. Best wishes sounds like you are doing everything right.
Advertisements
My 3 1/2 yo son hated the swing until about a month ago. He still prefers me to have a hand on his tummy and back. He has mild sensory integration issues.
Sensory integration is a big deal for our population of children. If any of you guys feel that these fears are over the top then you might check out resources like the "Out of Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz. Our 4 yr old whom we adopted at 2.5 years is amazingly bright and creative with language and art, but he is not comfortable with his body in motion. We have recently had him in some tumbling classes to help him get over his fears and it seems to be helping him.
Anyway I assume most of you are fully aware of sensory challenges, but those who aren't, look into it.
Alex wasn't afraid of swings, but loud noises and umbrellas of all things. I would have to get soaked, he would not let me carry him out of the house with an umbrella in my hand.
He has gotten over the umbrella fear (thank God), but is literally terrified of loud noises.
We took him for ice cream the other evening and there was a fence and a train track behind the building. When a train came by , he became so frightened , he screamed and tried to run into the parking lot. Fortunately I expected this when I heard the train and grabbed him quickly.
We cannot watch fireworks of any kind. He is fine with normal household noises and doesn't mind motorcycles or cars.
Swinging is said to be excellent for developing a child's balance and coordination. I would encourage you to keep trying to make your child comfortable with it.
Have you tried sitting in a glider or adult swing with your child on your lap? Holding the child may make the swing less scary. Even lots of rocking in a rocking chair will be of some help.
My daughter LOVED swings and carousels from minute one. And I don't know if it's related, but she is one of the most coordinated kids around. She scares me sometimes, as she walks on TOP of the jungle gym, etc.
As to loud noises, the fear of loud noises and people in costumes isn't unique to adopted children. Many bio kids will put their hands to their ears and shriek when loud music comes on, etc., and many bio kids will also freak out about clowns and costumed figures at birthday parties. Even Santa can be very scary.
With kids who are scared of loud noises, I'd suggest trying to avoid going to places where they are most likely to occur. As far as costumes, I've seen families have success at parties by going early and letting the child see the actor put on his/her costume and makeup.
Sharon
Advertisements
chucknfw got it right..SENSORY !!!
Our daughter adopted at 12.5 months is now 4.5 years old and JUST coming around where swings are concerned, and being thrown up in the area. She would have this complete terrifed look on her face. With the help of Occupational Thearphy she is now starting to be able to enjoy the movements of life. I would mention this to your ped, they might be able to direct you to an OT who can work on your child's sensory issues, motion might not be the only one.
Russiamomto3
With the help of Occupational Thearphy she is now starting to be able to enjoy the movements of life.
What an eloquent way of expressing the need to be able to deal with your body in motion. Learning how to "enjoy the movements of life" is the goal.
Hollis was afraid of swings when we first came home. I started just holding him close and would get on the swing myself (one near the baby swing). Then eventually started swinging a little (just a little movement). He is finally able to sit on the swing himself and usually enjoys it. Good luck!
Advertisements
Our Lilia (age 2) is just beside herself if we put her in a baby swing at the park or we do any kind of playful swinging at home. She stiffens up, puts her hands to her mouth and starts to go into freak-out mode with this certain sound she makes....and then cries franticially. It's kind of frightening to watch. She panics. We certainly stop right away but we try again every couple weeks just in very small doses. Just wondered if anyone else experienced anything like this??
Wow, I was googling this to see what’s wrong with our “Lilia” And she is also “age 2” and I see this.. I’m speechless.:laughing::laughing:
If a child have fear on swings, it is definitely because of his or her experiences in the past. Kids should be supervised at all times specially when playing. I am a Mom of 3 and we are also planning to create DIY tree swings for adults, but still assessing our yard whether it will be safe for the kids. We are eyeing to purchase at and had several on our lists.